just want to touch it up...

Old 11-07-02, 10:19 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
just want to touch it up...

i found parquet under my carpet. it looks to be in decent shape, but's lost it luster. i dunno if it was wax or not. can i just rent a sander with a screen and just go over it lightly and then seal it up?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-02, 10:30 AM
R
Before you try to refinish the floor, try cleaning it with Murphy's oil soap. The dullness you see now could be dirt that has sifted through the carpet.

If this doesnt work, a light sanding then a coat of polyurethane will do the job. I don't think you need to rent a large floor sander, unless you want to strip the finish down to bare wood. An electric sander or hand block sander should be enough to rough up the surface a bit before top coating.

Old 11-07-02, 10:41 AM
M
like a palm sander? it'd take me 4 days nonstop. let's say go with a handheld sander.... what grit should i go with?

Old 11-07-02, 10:51 AM
R
Either sander is fine. Since you only want to rough it up, a light touch and medium grit will work. One coat of poly may be enough, but you can make that decision when it drys.

4 days??? Is this a basketball court? Sanding a 12x12 room should take a couple of hours, with another hour for cleanup.

Another option... you mentioned that the floor had been waxed. I recall my father hand waxing the hardwood floors in our home years ago. He did it annually. The looked beautiful after 30 years. The downside to wax is that you need to recoat it periodically. A good polyurethane will last many more years, depending on traffic.

Good luck.

Old 11-08-02, 05:22 AM
Locy's Hardwood
Visiting Guest
Angry Murphy's oil soap

never i mean never clean a wood floor parquet, engineered, solid with murphys. it is the worst thing you can put on the floor. if you do you will have to do a complete resand because of the oils and waxes that are in it. trouble with adhesion will happen for sure...

Phil