Another squeaky floor question

Old 11-07-02, 01:29 PM
MarGinJoey
Visiting Guest
Another squeaky floor question

Hello,

Unsure of the material in my '65 built home but, the floors themselves are in good shape, but squeak pretty bad in the hallway near 2 of the bedrooms.

Q1. Will Talc-sweeping seriously work? Just read that here ... Cheap fixes are nice but if it sounds too good to be true.....

Q2. Renailing...OK if the nails have some sort of heat reacting glue or epoxy right? I dont want unsightly nail heads or worse, injury to happen to my 16 month olds little feet, or mine, or the wifes...

Q3. Could resealing ... or clearcoating, or whatever its called, bring back some of the moisture in the wood, to make them expand a bit?? I know, I'm "really reaching" here but...well ??

Q4. More like a comment, I dont know whats underneath, but it does look original, the previous owner ripped up the god-awful orange shag rug before we got there (thankgod!).

Thanks in advance,
MarGinJoey (Mark)

Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-02, 09:35 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The comment I made about sweeping talc is something I recall. I don't remember if it is true or not. It does seem to make a certain amount of sense. After all, the boards squeak because the rub on each other.

Nailing or screwing the flooring. Wood moves wiith changes in temperature and humidity. If you fasten the flooring in another position in addition to the nailed groove, you trap the piece of wood and may experience buckling or splitting when it moves.

Bringing back the moisture to the wood...I doubt it.