Wow! Slipery Floors!

Old 11-08-02, 01:58 PM
rvitek
Visiting Guest
Wow! Slipery Floors!

I used a satin oil-based poly on my floors and stairs, and wow - they're slipery! I expected them to be slic, but this feels like a greesed bowling lane!

Anything I can do to make them a little less dangerous?

Thanks!

Old 11-08-02, 07:19 PM
C
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Normally a good quality floor wax will protect the finish without be too slippery. There are brands of floor wax that are designed to be skid resistant.

Old 11-08-02, 07:33 PM
alizona
Visiting Guest
Wax once and you will wax and strip your floor until you get another 100%sand and finish.

Old 11-08-02, 08:03 PM
A
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Could there be some residue?

Doesn't make sense that they shoud be that slippery.

Old 11-08-02, 09:13 PM
rvitek
Visiting Guest
Any way I can safely deep-clean the floors? I've heard of a vinegar and water solution, what do you think about that?

Old 11-09-02, 07:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DO NOT WAX POLYURETHANE!!!!!

Time and traffic will make them less slippery. You may ruin the finish if you try any mechanical, or chemical abrasion.

Old 11-09-02, 10:19 AM
alizona
Visiting Guest
1pint vineger to 1 gallon water is all the cleaning solution you need. If you haven't put any wax or silicone cleaners on floor.
You can recoat after buffing with a non skid gym floor finish.

Old 11-09-02, 03:09 PM
rvitek
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the tips! Ok, I haven't waxed a thing, and the finish is about 2 weeks old and seems to get more slick by the day. There's three coats of poly on there now and I don't want anymore, so...

Wash with vinegar and water, got it.

What's the non-skid gym-floor finish that you're talking about?

Thanks!

Old 11-09-02, 05:06 PM
alizona
Visiting Guest
I haven't done any gym floors. But the finish should be available at a wood flooring supply co. From what I understand is that it is not as hard as the heavy duty finishes and is made so the basketball players don't slip while playing. I might be wrong?

Old 11-10-02, 08:50 AM
rvitek
Visiting Guest
Wow, I just scrubbed it down and nothing. This is quite dangerous and I'm considering some drastic action here. This is so dangerous because it's the stairway and the hallway upstairs. I'm really stuck.

What else can I do?

Old 11-10-02, 09:12 AM
Locy's Hardwood
Visiting Guest
What kind of finish did you use to begin with ??? I don't recomend gym seal # 1 it takes 12 days for it to cure and the fuems can kill ya. Like alizona said yes gym seal is used for gyms and have you ever been in a gym that says street shoes are ok nope never. let me know what brand of finish you used and we can go from there.

Philly

Old 11-16-02, 10:44 PM
rvitek
Visiting Guest
I used Varathane, I thought it was ok

Wow, we have a new rule on the stairs now, 'Must wear shoes.'

It's getting better, so I guess time will tell.

Thanks for all your suggestions!

Old 11-17-02, 07:57 PM
RealWoodFloors
Visiting Guest
Smile

rvitek,
Did you use water base or oil base varathane. I use water base to do steps. I usually do less of an aggressive prep sanding for finish coats on the treads, and let the grain raise keep the stair treads slightly rough. That's what you get for doing to good a job on those stairs.
AL

Old 11-24-02, 06:40 PM
rvitek
Visiting Guest
Time's the trick. It seems that as the weeks go on, the floors get a little less slick. They're still bad, but just not that bad anymore

Thanks for all your help!

Ry.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: