Refinishing Wood Floors

Old 11-09-02, 06:57 AM
LarMar
Visiting Guest
Refinishing Wood Floors

We are refinishing an oak flooring. It is about fifty years old. The finish on it is pretty much non existent. What do you reccomend to use on it?

I see that varathane has some floor finish that does not require sanding between coats? Is that a good finish?

Old 11-09-02, 08:54 AM
alizona
Visiting Guest
I just submitted a 10 line answer to your question and the forum lost my reply for the 13th time. I have used Flecto Varethane and will answer your question by email send me your address and i'll email the answer. Over about 4 lines does not submit.

Old 11-09-02, 09:00 AM
alizona
Visiting Guest
When is one of you DIY einstein moderators or managers going to inform me why you lose my submitings if they are over about four lines but four or less works every time and I have never gone over 2,000 characters in any of the 13 lost submittings.

Old 11-09-02, 03:01 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Einstein? Yoh..that must be me?..hehe. Heck the folks at the control center don't even reply to my mail anymore. They may have slimmed down the workforce and cut some jobs. Same thing happened at improvenet.com where I was given an "expert" stature, but the only way one can submit with the little *(aestorik) meaning expert is through s special log in. I lost mine a year ago and have tried a half dozen times to get it back, to no avail. I also wanted to update my bio which is only three lines w/o a photo. Not a reply whatsover, even with phone calls

I'm listed on this page at the site mentioned and so is Jeff Williams who ran the show. He is since gone to other adventures after they cut their workforce. Blame it on the lack of advertising dollars and the net bubble burst.

Ken Fisher

http://www.improvenet.com/adviceandr...mbexperts.html

Old 11-11-02, 06:47 PM
bojcjk
Visiting Guest
We are getting ready to pull up the carpet in the living and dining rooms of our home. I know that there are hard wood floors under the carpet but I have not seen the floors in about 20 years. I have a feeling that will be some paint stains on the floors. Also, I am not sure what the padding as done to the floors over the years.

Please advise the best way to remove any paint stains and return the wood floors to their original glory.

Old 11-12-02, 08:03 AM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Restoring wood floors

Goof Off is frequently recommended for removing latex paint drops from hardwood floors. (www.goof-off.com) You can use a scraper (plastic), scraping in direction of wood grain and taking care not to damage floors, to remove pad that may have stuck to the floor. If in doubt, call a professional floor refinisher. You can find refinishing info at www.finishingwoodfloors.com.

Old 11-12-02, 06:38 PM
bojcjk
Visiting Guest
Restoring Wood Floors

Thank you so much twelvepole for the information. I visited the "goof-off" website and read the testimonials. We will be starting our project this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes!

Old 11-16-02, 06:46 PM
bojcjk
Visiting Guest
Restoring wood floors

Twelvepole, you were absolutely right. We bought that goof-off and it took the paint stains right out! What we discovered however is that the wood where the heavy traffic areas are is very dark. We were hoping to get around sanding but it looks like we have no choice. My question is, how do we get some consistency in the color of the wood? It seems to me that even after sanding, the darker wood will still be darker. We visited the "finishingwoodfloors" website but are still unsure what to do next.

Old 11-16-02, 07:41 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Finishing wood floors

If, after sanding, you still have discoloration of wood floors from water stains and/or ground in soil, perhaps staining the wood floors a darker color will camouflage the stains. Always refer to www.finishingwoodfloors.com for finishing procedures, as that is the Bible for finishing.

Old 11-17-02, 04:51 AM
Locy's Hardwood
Visiting Guest
Darker Areas

In most cases you will find the reason for these dark area is because all the finish has been removed and it is down to bare wood. Black areas in the floor are usually water stains or pet stains and are much harder to remove by sanding and a special bleach may help lighten it but bot remove it. You can consider these character mark within the wood.

Philly
Locy's hardwood Floors

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: