Installing a new subfloor before installing laminate

Old 11-14-02, 12:26 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Installing a new subfloor before installing laminate

Hi,

I'm planning to install a laminate floor in my kitchen/dining area of a house I recently bought. Currently, it is covered by a huge sheet of linoleum. The installation of the linoleum was done about 8 years ago and was poorly done (it's lifting around some of the edges). For example, behind the refrigerator, it is separated from the floor for several inches. Literally, I could grab hold of it and start yanking on it without any tools. Am I correct in my assumption that you experts will recommend that I install a plywood subfloor over it, and if so, will 1/4" be sufficient? If I am to install a plywood subfloor, will I have to remove the vinyl flooring first? I'd really rather not given that it's probably glued pretty well in the middle of the floor. I've done the "string method" and determined that the floor is quite flat (no ups & downs). Your insights and advice are greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Paul

Old 11-14-02, 06:18 PM
AzFred
Visiting Guest
I would first look at leaving the vinyl or lino where it is and install the floating floor right over the top. Loose corners and edges may need to be glued down but if the floor is really as flat as you say it is and the floor is otherwise sound, DO IT..

Old 11-16-02, 07:08 AM
RickJ6956
Visiting Guest
We had a similar situation and removed two layers of lino and that luan-type underlayment to reveal a clean 1/2" subfloor. It only took us three hours of intense work and it is well worth it. We found several areas where the second layer was laid over holes in the first layer, making the floor uneven.

We then put down a layer of 5/8" ply on top of the subfloor to strengthen the floor. Then again, we used 12" oak parquet (Bruce) instead of laminated planks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: