strip hardwood against tile installation tips

Old 11-22-02, 04:55 PM
chrisn
Visiting Guest
strip hardwood against tile installation tips

can anyone give me tips on how to install harwood strip flooring against a tile installation...or give me an informative web-site?...thanks...chris

Old 11-22-02, 05:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You need and expansion transition molding.

More then likely a "T" molding.

Old 11-22-02, 05:46 PM
chrisn
Visiting Guest
does your or another website have info on them? and installing methods?

chris

Old 11-24-02, 12:04 AM
H
Chris:

One of these days I'll have to include something like what you are referring to. Actually I have an interesting situation coming up with what to do with a solid 3/4" prefinished floor transition to a tiled area that is about 1/4" lower. You should be able to see it sometime after Thanksgiving at the link provided below..or the Tampa, Florida Brazilian Cherry installation.

Old 11-24-02, 07:55 AM
T
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Expansion gap and transition molding

Typically, if tile and hardwood are at the same height (3/4"), a T-molding is placed in the expansion gap. If tile sets lower than hardwood, a reducer is used to make the transition.

For hardwood flooring installation instructions, go to www.installingwoodfloors.com.

Old 11-24-02, 10:16 AM
H
Patricia:

With all due repsect it never works that way. I try to avoid any type of T-Molding with 3/4" solids because it just looks funky. Reducers never work because the tile is rarely cut straight and there's always one tile that may be a tad higher or lower than another. This is where a custom overlap threshold works. One that requires some creative table saw work.

Old 11-24-02, 10:44 AM
T
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Transitional pieces

Hey, Hardwood Guy, you mean all those prefinished transitional pieces are likely not to make a good transition? Please tell us more about a "custom overlap threshold?"

Old 11-24-02, 02:17 PM
Hardwood Man
Visiting Guest
I can't help out on this one until Tuesday or Wednesday Patricia, as you'll see pics if you click the Braz Cherry link. I have another flight of steps to do in the Tampa, Florida job along with a landing of apprx 80 sf that connects to carpet in three areas and tile in another. The job is about 80% complete if you check the link provided.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: