Leveling subflooring before putting down free floating wood floor??

Old 11-24-02, 12:29 PM
mbsjr
Visiting Guest
Question Leveling subflooring before putting down free floating wood floor??

Hi,

actually I have 3 questions... Any help will be greatly appreciated!

1) What is the best method to determine if a room is square??
I measured across the room at each end , from one wall to the other wall running parallel to it. It was the same length at each end of the room! Does this mean the room is square?

2) What is the best method to check if the subflooring is level??
I've heard of the string method and I could probably guess how that works but I want to be sure!
What I did was to run a 6' level across the middle of the room in 2 directions, lenght of the room and width of the room. It appears that in one direction the subfloor changes pitches, is a little wavy In the other direction is seems to slop in one directions and does not appear to be wavy like the other direction.

3) What is the best method to some what level the subfloor??
I want to put down one of those free-floating-glueless wood floors. I know it the subflooring is not pretty much level you'll have problems with the floor latter...

Thanks In Advance & Any Help Is Greatly Appreciated....

Old 11-24-02, 01:43 PM
T
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Room out of square

To find how square or not square our room or layout is. Use the chalk line as a reference and run a tape measure against the opposite parallel wall on both sides. Some adjustments with the starter line may be made to square up the layout to your liking as it is not unusual for any room to be out of square by 1/4 - 1/2" or so.

It is important that the subfloor or substrate be flat. Little imperfections will not effect the floor because it's floating. As long as the subfloor is structurally sound, has no squeaks and is basically flat the subfloor should be fine.

To check, use either a 10-foot straightedge (e.g. a level) or stretch a 10-foot string across the floor noting any dips or crowns. If these dips or crowns exceed 3/16 inch within 6 feet, they must be leveled. Use a Portland-cement-based leveling material to fill all low spots and sand all crowns to meet the 3/16 inch, 6 foot requirement.

Old 11-29-02, 05:17 PM
T
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
square room

To add to comments by twelvelpole, you can check squareness of any room by measuring distance of opposite corners with a tape measure. The distance should be exactly the same if the room were square. That said, no rooms are perfectly square, so expect a small difference.

As far as the floor being level, a more accurate statement should be "flat".

To get the floor level would be work, but flat is all you actually need for a good base. I usually cut a board to lenth and span it across the room. It will drag on the high spots you need to cut down. It also makes a great "screet" board for dragging the leveling compound flat (not level).

JT

Old 12-02-02, 07:35 AM
Eric Pommerenck
Visiting Guest
You could also use a latax base material for leveling. Advantage being it remains resilient which could be helpfull as far as differences in temperature / humidity expantion and contraction.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: