Laminate floor transition at a threshold

Old 11-30-02, 12:31 PM
msherry5
Visiting Guest
Laminate floor transition at a threshold

We are installing a laminate floor in the basement. There are 2 areas where we have questions. We can't find a molding that seems to be appropriate to use at the threshold of the outside door. Also, we have a fireplace hearth that has curved corners that we have to lay flooring around.

Question # 1) Should we just stop the flooring 5/8 inch from the threshold without covering it with any kind of molding?

Question # 2) Should we do the same thing at the fireplace hearth? Or is there a molding that will curve around corners?

Thanks so much for your help.

Old 11-30-02, 03:20 PM
Visiting Guest
Transitions

You should be able to find a threshold for the outside door at a local home improvement store as far as the curved fire place what you can do is use a colored caulk around it. simple and effective and also allows for the proper gap for expansion and contraction

Philly

Old 11-30-02, 03:25 PM
msherry5
Visiting Guest
Would we use the threshold itself to cover the edges of the flooring, or is there a special molding to transition between the floor and the threshold?

Thanks for your help!

Old 11-30-02, 03:31 PM
Visiting Guest
Is the door in right now i would assume it is some doors have a removable threshold in the center the screws are generally covered you could remove it and replace it when you have laid the floor.
if not a simple reducer from the door to the floor should take care of it . you just don't want to end up with a toe catcher if you know what i mean
Philly

Old 11-30-02, 04:44 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Either remove and then replace the threshold, undercut the entire threshold for the door and the doorjambs at the same time, or use an "end cap" molding, also called a square stair nosing.

If your fireplace is a raised hearth, Undercut the stone using a plank of the laminate as a guide and use an angle grinder with a small 4" diamond blade. Caulking at a fireplace hearth looks tacky to me, not to mention the cut edge chipping the sometimes occurs with any laminate.

Old 11-30-02, 05:44 PM
AzFred
Visiting Guest
It would be helpful to know if the hearth is smooth or rough. Brick, marble etc. Vs. field stone slate or flag stone. Perry, I think the square edge is not really a stair molding. ??? The edge molding can also be used around a hearth if the surface is not too irregular.

Old 11-30-02, 09:21 PM
msherry5
Visiting Guest
The fireplace is slate. The hearth looks like slate, but it could be concrete made to look that way. The top surface is quite irregular, but the edges, which are raised about 1.5 inches above the floor, are fairly regular.

Old 12-03-02, 05:55 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I wish we could still post pictures here!

iFloor.com has some molding profiles to look at.

They call the same shape molding an end cap in one picture and on another manufacturer, the same profile is called a square nosing. I have rip cut a "T" molding to make it into an end cap too.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: