Squeaky subfloor & Installation of Pergo

Old 12-02-02, 08:57 AM
lydia67
Visiting Guest
Question Squeaky subfloor & Installation of Pergo

Before I get started, I thought I had better ask.

I would like to install Pergo on the second floor of my house. The subfloor squeaks badly. What can I do to stop the squeaks for good? Should I squeeze wedges of wood between the boards or is there some other way?

Do I need to do anything else before I install Pergo?

Which is the easiest way to install laminate flooring - glue, nailing or floating. (Does floating require nailing as well)?

Also, I thought of parquet style and heard that there is a special kind of saw needed to cut that. Is that true? If so, what kind of saw is needed?

Thank you.

Old 12-02-02, 05:41 PM
T
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Squeaky subfloors and new floor covering

Drive deck screws through the subfloor and into the joists to anchor everything securely and to eliminate squeaks. Squeaks are caused by movement in wood seams between sheets of subflooring. Stop the movement and stop the squeaks.

Pergo is a laminate floor product. Each manufacturer of laminate products tend to have their own specifications for installation, whether it requires glue, nails, staples, or is a floating product. Floating products do not require nails. Some simply snap together. Others require glue. Shop around to learn more about the different products that are available and their installation requirements. Compare apples to apples for price, quality, warranty, and ease of installation. For installation tips and other information if you are considering a laminate floor, go to www.azfred.com.

Parquet wood tiles require a smooth and even floor. They are laid much like resilient floor tiles and require some planning for your layout. Parquet tiles are glued down. Parquet tiles can be cut with a power saw. For installation tips copy and paste the following address http://www.homestore.ca/tabs/homeimp...FloorTiles.asp
Omit the http: and when copying.

Old 12-02-02, 06:06 PM
lydia67
Visiting Guest
Squeaky Subfloors

Thank you, Twelvepole.

One more question for clarification. I am not sure of all the terminology. What I am calling a subfloor is actually separate boards about 3" wide and laid as one would lay hardwood. It has no finish on it. With that in mind, do I still attach them to the joist as you said. Is that possible with all separate boards like that? In other words, it is not a sheet of plywood for the subfloor.

Thank you again.

Carolyn

Old 12-02-02, 06:24 PM
AzFred
Visiting Guest
lydia, If you want parquet, no laminate. The parquet will be hard wood, more likely. If you think nails, no laminate. If you think glue, we have to talk. I'll start by saying some laminate glues together but not down to the subfloor. Hardwood can be glued to the subfloor or it may be nailed down. Floating floors are not attached to the sub floor, they float on it. Laminate, engineered, and solid hardwood can be installed as a floating floor and I'm sure you will have more questions about this subject. As to the "boards" that are on your floor, they are most likely the subfloor. Subfloor material may be lumber, yours I think, OSB, particle board or plywood. The lumber and plywood are usually best but also are the greater opportunity for squeaks. Run screws through the floor as 12pole has suggested because it's easier and or less expensive than other cures. The most important thing that I can suggest is to find a color and pattern that appeals to you most with your decor, in your home. Find a large reliable local retailer with a good selection. This will be a real learning experience. This approach will help you target a specific or at least limit choices. Good luck with your project.

Old 12-02-02, 08:32 PM
SteveOfloors
Visiting Guest
Sounds to me that Lydia 67 has a floor fairly common here in my area. The upstairs of many homes here are 4" -8" wide T&G. Is the celing in your home wood, or sheetrock? If it is wood, be VERY careful about what length fastener you use to attach any flooring, whether it is new subfloor or a nail down. Once I used a staple that was 1 1/8" long to fasten down 1'4 plywood subfloor: was I shocked to go down stairs to see staples protuding from the ceiling!! Lesson learned.

Make sure that the existing flooring is level by placing a straight edge or level across the floor. You might need to install a underlayment prior to any floor, other then carpet, to get it flat enough for eithe a floating, nail or gluedown floor.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: