How to treat baseboard when having floors refinished

Old 12-04-02, 08:44 AM
ballpeen
Visiting Guest
How to treat baseboard when having floors refinished

What is typically done with the baseboard molding when wood floors are refinished. The floor refinishers I've contacted say they don't do the baseboards just the floors. Should I remove the baseboard molding (which consists of baseboard, shoe and cap) before the floors are done, or can I leave them in place and do them separately after the floors are done? Should the molding be done in the same fashion as the floors (i.e., sanded and poly'd) or are they done differently (i.e., not poly'd but finished with another type of finish). The molding does not appear to have been treated with any finish at all, though I'm not 100% sure of that. Is there any way to test the wood to see if it has been treated with anything. Also, how do I clean it up? It's dirty and discolored in spots from water leaks through the walls. Thanks.

Old 12-04-02, 01:33 PM
T
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Baseboards and refinishing hardwood floors

Some flooring professionals recommend that if you have shoe molding or quarter round along the baseboards that it be removed to get the best sanding results and to avoid damaging the trim. You can use a nail punch to drive the nails through the trim pieces and a pry bar to carefully pull up the strips of wood. Be careful not to damage it so that you can reinstall it later. Pull all the nails out and label the pieces if necessary. Trim can be sanded and refinished to match either floor or baseboards before replacing.

If molding is in poor condition or badly stained, then you might want to replace the molding with new. Water stains tend to penetrate deep into the wood and can not be sanded out. If you pour a spoonful of water on a piece of the trim and it soaks into the wood, you will know there is no protective finish on the trim.

Old 12-04-02, 06:22 PM
Locy's Hardwood
Visiting Guest
Pull the shoe or quarter round for the finisher. Most of us have in our contracts to pull them and if they are in bad shape replace them.
Philly

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: