Installing hardwood flooring in kitchen

Old 12-04-02, 10:41 AM
DTomka
Visiting Guest
Question Installing hardwood flooring in kitchen

Hi All. I'm in the planning process to install 3/4" prefinished hardwood flooring throughout the first floor of my home. I'm handy and I've done some flooring work before, but I'd like some outside advice to help me decide how to tackle the one aspect of the project I am unsure of.

I currently have linoleum in the kitchen and carpeting throughout the rest of the floor. I have no problem ripping up the carpeting/padding/tackless or the linoleum, but I'm not sure what I should do about the luan underlayment underlying the linoleum in the kitchen. Ordinarily, I would just rip that up too in order to get a nice flat floor across the entire first floor. However, the base cabinets are installed upon the underlayment so I will either need to remove the cabinets (and countertop) to remove the underlayment, or I will need to trim it flush with the edge of the base cabinet and run the flooring up to the cabinet (leaving proper expansion space and trim with quarter round).

What should I do? If I trim the underlayment and install the flooring around the cabinets, I don't think I'll be able to get my dishwasher out in the future (there is some play for adjustment, but not 3/4"). Likewise, if I install the hardwood around the cabinets but within the alcoves for the range and the dishwasher, the appliance heights will be affected and will interefere with the countertop height.

I think the proper way to do the job is to remove the cabinets so I can yank all of the underlayment, but I wanted a second opinion before I completely dismantled my kitchen. TIA!

Old 12-05-02, 01:07 AM
H
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DT:

It sounds like you've answered all the questions, but you may want to look into some 1/2" solid products(more expensive) as an option if you don''t want to go through the expense and hassle of removing the kitchen cabinets. There are also some quality engineered floors out there that could work for you as well.

Old 12-05-02, 10:08 PM
T
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Installing hardwood under cabinets

Installing 3/4" hardwood to the wall under cabinets is ideal. Like suggested, you might want to go with a thinner wood product if you don't want to remove the kitchen base cabinets. Check the DW and other appliances for adjustment allowances.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: