Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

plastic makes noises & it doesn't sound good

Visiting Guest

12-05-02, 06:48 PM   #1  
mik_mik
plastic makes noises & it doesn't sound good

Still a vapor barrier question. Only this one on the work in progress.
I started with 6mil plastic sheeting right on the concrete floor.
Then ¼ cork and 9/16 engineered wood on top, obviously floating….
In some places I am getting a screeching sound of plastic under the cork
when stepping over a certain spot. I am about half way done in my room,
did I do something wrong? Is there way to “fix” this without taking the whole floor
out and starting all over again?

Thanks,

Mik_mik

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

12-05-02, 07:33 PM   #2  
SteveOfloors
Hmmm. Couple of questions. Did you check your subfloor for low or high spots?? Was your plastic folded up, or on a roll? I can't imagine the plastic making noise, unless something is between either the wood and cork, or cork and plastic, but the cork is pretty soft, so it's hard to say.

OH

12-05-02, 09:06 PM   #3  
Vapor barrier under cork floor

Did you follow manufacturer's instructions for subfloor prep and underlayment. When installing engineered wood products, each manufacturer tends to have very specific instructions regarding subfloor, acclimation, and installation.

Visiting Guest

12-06-02, 06:16 AM   #4  
Texas wood
Mik-mik,

I am installing (floating) Mannington Montana Oak Plank. 5" wide planks hardwood. Rated as top of the line floor. I checked the level of my concrete slab. I am an engineer and have access to some very nice tools. My slab was flat to a 1/8" over 16 feet in some areas!!! I laid my 6 mm plastic, my ultra hush pad (expensive) and starting floating my installation. 9/16" thick engineered wood. I laid about 75ft^2 to check the characteristics of the floor. The first thing I heard (just like you)was the plastic!!!!!!! Specifically where they creased the plastic to put sell it in the box. I also noticed that if someone walks on the floor it will dip very very slightly. The noise you are hearing is going to be there until your floor lays flat, if it ever does. The value of the moisture barrier is priceless and mine is barely audible, I can understand how a thinner floor and less expensive pad would allow the noise to transmitt easier. I have talked to numerous people and they ALL here this noise but say they either get used to it or it disappears after about 6 weeks?

On a side note it amazes me how some of these so called "professionals" do not understand some of the products they install. I have been reading this foruum for about 3 months and I thank the Lord I installed the floor myself. There are so many shortcuts one could take, not completely filling the groove all the way with glue(this creates a seal so not liquied spilled can get underneatht the floor) and planning a multi-room layout etc.

As far as my floor goes it looks gorgeous, perfectly flat. I measure about a 1/16" deflection at the wall if someone is jumping up and down. The plastic is still slighty heard, it is my only gripe at this point.

Visiting Guest

12-06-02, 10:25 AM   #5  
mik_mik
Thanks to ALL for your comments!!!

I did check the level of the floor and then put down a floor levelor
I think that?s how it?s called, to bring up the low spots. Apparently it was not enough. Because floor still has some play to it, floating application suppose to have some forgiveness to uneven floor, ha. I do regret thought that I didn?t do what I did in my office i.e. glued down vinyl floor first as a vapor barrier and then floated hardwood over that. Nothing there to make the stupid noise. I did by the plastic in the roll but it was also folded within the roll so may be that is the reason for the noise?
Anyway I am thinking of injecting some foam sealant with low expansioin ratings under the plastic if the noise does not go away in a month or so.

Visiting Guest

12-06-02, 10:48 AM   #6  
Texas wood
Exactly my plastic was in a roll also but folded. I would definelty wait 6-8 weeks before you inject anything. Let everything reach equilibrium. You may cause undo stress at the seams with some type of injection. Were your planks banana bowed prior to the installation. I doubt if your slab is not acceptable.

TX

12-07-02, 03:37 AM   #7  
Could it be a woopie cushion effect from a slightly low spot.

The manufacturers can't make up there mind about where to put the glue in the groove, and the amount of glue that needs to be in the groove.
Every manufacturer has something different about their specs compared to the next manufacturer.

I pulled out my spec sheet for a Mannington wood floor I did years ago, and the floating installation specs, require you use the special Mannington applicator tip and apply glue only to the underside of the upper groove.

The specs now don't mention an applicator tip, and you are to completely fill the entire groove with glue.

So, ALWAYS READ THE INSTALL SPEC SHEET!!!
Even if it is the same product you installed last week! Specs change often, believe it or not.

Don't assume anything.

GA

12-07-02, 05:36 AM   #8  
Texas:

Thanks for your input. Like Perry says...FOLLOW THE SPECS! In this case you mentioned....

"not completely filling the groove all the way with glue" This is not true with all manufacturers and can vioid the warranty. Harris-Tarkett for example has their own application specs and they call for adding a bead of glue apprx 8" long every 12" There is a very good reason for this because I remember years ago I worked for an installer that filled the entire groove and a few weeks later the floating floor snap, crackled and popped like crazy.

Result? Complete replacement of 900 sf. I'm wondering why Mik didn't glue the cork down? I've done many cork sound control jobs in my time and any floating engineered floors have been done in that fashion. I cannot see a loose laid cork in this case---too noisy and would create a floopy feel in my opinion.

Perry:

Mannington! Those people are absolutely lost..seriously. Problems, problems and always more problems. Even though Mannington says you can float their products I will never do so.

AZ

03-11-13, 09:09 PM   #9  
6 mil plastic under cork is a very bad idea,the Silent Solution to plastic noise is a urethane coating membrane.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

03-12-13, 03:09 AM   #10  
Welcome to the forums! You are answering an 11 year old thread. Check the dates when you respond, as they may have already installed their flooring by now......just guessing

Search this Thread