What size cleat should be used for 3/4" hardwood flooring?

Old 12-08-02, 11:01 AM
Wrangler93
Visiting Guest
What size cleat should be used for 3/4" hardwood flooring?

We are installing 3/4" tongue and groove hardwood oak flooring over a 3/4" plywood subfoor. Our home has a concrete slab. We recently read on a wood floor forum that someone used 2" cleats with our same application. They complained that when they walked over the wood floor, they could hear a clicking sound because the cleats were to long and hitting the concrete. They claimed the 2" cleats went thru the 3/4" flooring, 3/4" subfloor at an angle thru the tongue and hit the concrete. We're concerned that we may have the same problem if his statement is correct. Should we use a shorter cleat to prevent this from happening? Do professional installers always use 2" cleats in this time of situation?

Any help will be appreciated
Thanks
Cat

Old 12-08-02, 01:07 PM
H
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cat:

Use 1 1/2" flooring cleats or staples for this type of application as that's what they are designed for. Were these other floors "professionally" installed?

Ken Fisher

Old 12-18-02, 10:15 PM
S
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cat, I'm curious to know what (if any) moisture barrier you used over the concrete slab. I'm exhausted reading the differing opinions. Also I would like to know how you secured the plywood (and what grade). Thanks, Stephen

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: