Opinions on Parquet vs. Engineered Strip

Old 12-09-02, 01:06 PM
C
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Opinions on Parquet vs. Engineered Strip

I need to install a new floor on an aged (15-20 years) concrete slab on-grade. The room is about 12x16 or so. The previous owner installed a glue-down carpeting, so I will have to scrap up the remaining black junk.

It is a dining room, so moisture isn't a big concern, though there is a french door leading to the patio.

I have considered a few options -- laminate (floating), parquet (glue down) and engineered wood (floating install).

Can anyone offer opinions / experience on the parquet tiles by Bruce sold at HD? It is a pre-finished Bruce product (urethane finish with 10 year finish warranty) and I think it is 1/4", but I might be able to get the better 5/16" product.

My other options are both floating floors. Ease of installation and quality is my main concern, as opposed to cost.

The wife and I thought parquet might be nice since the main part of the house has solid oak strip flooring, and this would be different, where as it might look weird to have a strip laminate / engineered wood strip.

Any advice appreciated. Also, I was considering putting parquet on a little 4x4' area by the exterior door on an adjacent family room that will be carpeted. Any thoughts on this, or would I be much better off to go with tile?

Thanks!

Old 12-09-02, 02:52 PM
T
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Floor covering options

Glue down or floating? Floating systems are gaining popularity among DIYers because of easy of installation. There are no messy glues or adhesives. Floating systems do, however, float. Some complain of a "hollow" noise. If you use sound absorbing underlayment, you can minimize sound transmission.

Plastic or wood laminate? If you like the look of real wood, then plastic laminate is not for you. It is a picture of a natural floor product that has been adhered to a core material.

Wood laminate (engineered) or parquet? Both these require adhesive, unless you go with a floating engineered floor. These products have a veneer layer over plies of wood. The better products will have a thicker veneer layer that will allow you to sand and refinish in the future.

Tile is very practical for an entry that gets a lot of activity from wet feet.

Old 12-09-02, 03:08 PM
C
twelvepole - I appreciate the response, but I am really looking to get opinions from people that actually have installed parquet and other wood floors. I am already aware of the information you provided, though it is nice to hear it again.

So, any takers? I really hope someone with experience with these particular parquet tiles will respond! I've already read every post in the archives that I could find, but hope someone might lead me in the right direction.

Old 12-11-02, 06:22 AM
Locy's Hardwood
Visiting Guest
Thumbs down

I could get in trouble here but as a favor to a friend we installed 390 sq ft of the parquet you were talking about yesterday. In my opinion the stuff is junk!!!! I won't go into all the details but we had trouble from the get go. Poorly made, scratched very easy, etc...
The engineered products hold up well and are easy to install. Yes you can tell a laminate from the real thing. But engineered is the real thing the only thing you will have to contend with are the beveled edges. Check out jeff hoskings site www.hoskinghardwood.com for great info on all types of flooring...

Philly

Old 12-11-02, 07:21 AM
C
Thanks Locy! That was what I was looking for.

So, now the question is does anyone have a recomendation for a pre-finished Parquet tile, and/or a fairly inexpensive engineered plank floor?

How is the "Award" brand engineered plank that I see on Ifloor.com and hoskinghardwood.com?

Old 12-14-02, 11:29 AM
H
Com:

I don't think there's much of the discontinued Award left but I could be wrong as I haven't checked. The floating Award is a very user friendly product to install...more so than Harris-Tarkett. I only wish Tarkett would make their product just as easy to install if you can get it. But they've been too busy ticking off small retailers so they can keep up with Home Depot.

Parquet is very out of style here in the US. I can only think of one job I've done in the last six years. As a mater of fact some of the better manufacturers have since discontinued making it. Lesse, what else would be inexpensive. You could try a cabin grade HT floating floor. Their product isn't really a cabin grade per se with milling flaws but more character and shorter boards.

Good Luck..and happy holidays.

Looking at the Hosking site this is all I found left in large quaniity with Award...

SERIES NAME: AWARD LONGSTRIP
STOCK NUMBER: N-AWBIRCH-14B
COLOR NAME: Birch Expressions
SPECIES: Birch
WIDTH: 7"
THICKNESS: 9/16"
CTN. SIZE: 25.3 SQ.FT.
REASON FOR SALE: Closeout
QUANTITY AVAILABLE: 4503.4 SQ.FT.
REG. PRICE: $7.49/SQ.FT.
SALE PRICE: $3.25/SQ.FT.

Old 12-15-02, 06:15 PM
C
H. Guy-

Thanks for the post! I am a little leary about doing mail order because of shipping, but I think some of my local places do carry the Award products. I will have to check.

It is too bad that Parquet isn't popular enough for them to make a quality, affordable product. I think it looks pretty cool when done well.

Thanks for all the help!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: