Allergies and lots of dogs

Old 12-10-02, 09:03 PM
blissfuldrake
Visiting Guest
Exclamation Allergies and lots of dogs

[SIZE=3][FONT=times new roman][COLOR=darkblue] We have an older home with many additions. My partner has bad asthma and allergies. We are planning on removing all the carpeting and replacing it with "hard" flooring. The budget is limited. We have several dogs and litters of puppies. Ipso facto, we need a flooring that is impervious to liquids (puppy urine... ), resistant to the scratches of many tiny claws, is easy to clean, and of a reasonable price.

We have been thinking of vinyl tiles but are worried about 'leakage' down the seams,and subsequent lifting of the tiles.

We are worried about ceramic tiles because they can break and crack.

Laminate flooring seems to be a good option, but again, we're worried about any urine leakage into the seams. Would it be alright to put several coats of polyurethane on top of it? Perhaps wood floor, with a coating of the epoxy resin (you know, the one that looks like 50 coats of varnish.)

The living room used to be two rooms, and has a 'ridge' you can feel under the carpeting. It's about four inches wide and runs down the center of the room. One side of the room has hardwood under the carpeting, but I don't know what is under the other side. How would a person get rid of the ridge? I assume it is part of a sill plate from the original house.

The kitchen used to be a back porch, and has vinyl flooring glued directly to the cement. You can see all the little bumps and feel the little swales and valleys. It is ripped up at one place.

Any ideas?

Old 12-11-02, 12:04 PM
B
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
My wife and I also breed dogs and the puppy urine thing is a problem. We have hardwood floors in our living room and we literally follow the puppies around with paper towels while they are out.

When the puppies are old enough, we take them out of the welping box and put them in a x pen in our puppy room (heated porch). We just lay a piece of sheet vinyl over the tile floor and set the x pen on top. The sheet vinyl is the only thing I know of that would come close to being pee-proof; no open seams, cleans up easily, and holds up very well. I don't like the look of sheet vinyl in a living room, but that is strictly personal preference. If sheet vinyl is installed properly with proper preparation, there shouldn't be any defects telegraphing through.

Bruce

Old 12-11-02, 06:04 PM
AzFred
Visiting Guest
You might want to check with your doctor and confirm that dust causing alergic reaction will be no worse from any flooring material than the dust from pets. This is not intended to be a negative remark about pets but rather an objective observation. Your choice of flooring may be greater than you had thought. Laminate flooring is classified non alergic for several reasons a few of which are because the surface doesn't generate, hold or give off dust or particulates.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: