Crack in concrete subfloor / carpet adhesive

Old 12-19-02, 06:59 AM
C
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crack in concrete subfloor / carpet adhesive

I have a few questions and wasn't sure whether this was the right forum or perhaps carpet, but I will start here.

I live in the Philly 'burbs, so it does get cold. We just bought a house that had an 500 sq ft addition put on in the 70s. It has a concrete slab foundation, and it appears to be in good shape. The previous owners had used glue-down carpet (yuck!) that we ripped up. It left a lot of the black rubber pad. I used a floor scraper to get as much off as possible, but there seems to be a slight layers left.

So, I am curious as to what I need to do to prep the floor for eventual installation of tacked down carpet in half the room, and I want to float in an engineered hardwood floor in the other half.

There is a 0.25" crack running about 14" down the middle of the room. Other than that, the floor seems to be in excellent shape, and pretty level.

Do I need to get every last bit of the black stuff and adhesive off? I really don't want to use a chemical stripper as this is a very large area to work on.

I don't think there are moisture problems, but I haven't tested as of yet.

Sorry for the super long post!

Old 12-21-02, 09:34 PM
WJS_SR51
Visiting Guest
A 4" wallpaper scraper uses a razor blade that should remove enough of the old glued down carpet pading to make a nice floor.

The conventional carpet installation with tack strips and carpet pad will go over any crack in the concrete with no problems.

Is the engineered wood floor glue down or floating ?
A floating floor won't be affected by a crack and I doubt that a glue down wood floor would be either.

Old 12-21-02, 09:54 PM
C
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply. We managed to scrape most of the crap off. I think we'll be okay to carpet after drywall. I will do a floating floor for one section. The crack will be under the carpet.

Installed a french door today, what a PITA!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: