Laminate flooring

Old 12-30-02, 07:55 AM
SHGryphon
Visiting Guest
Laminate flooring

I have a 1930s vintage house with an approx. 30x15-foot living room, slightly smaller dining room and 6-foot hall I wish to cover with laminate flooring. The entire floor has no subflooring -- very peculiar, nobody else has seen this before. It is fir or pine, not in very good shape. First I have removed a wood stove and the ghastly stone slab that supported it at the far end of the living room. My plan is to screw A-B plywood down over the existing fir floor and make that the subfloor. I will then place floating laminate over it. Any advice? Am I crazy? Will the older floor require some special preparation? Thank you all,

Old 12-30-02, 04:42 PM
AzFred
Visiting Guest
I suspect that the fir or pine IS the sub floor. Until the late 40's or 50's in the north east 1" soft wood planking was nailed to the floor joists as a sub floor. For the record, do you have a basement? Is the floor sound aand is it flat, two important considerations. It would appear that you are prepared to do the necessary preperation.

Old 12-31-02, 08:25 AM
SHGryphon
Visiting Guest
Laminate flooring

Yes, we have a basement -- half concrete floor, other half a crawlspace with dirt floor covered by sheets of plastic.

The living room floor is sound, albeit with a bad patch -- a small hole, about half the size of my hand, which looks directly into the basement. That's what started the ball rolling on this little project.

So, you're saying the fir was the original subfloor. Does that mean some previous owner took up the top layer of flooring and carted it off?

Today I finish removing the awful stone slab that was installed at the far end of the living room. My next step will be to get a spirit level and see how flat the floor is.

Old 12-31-02, 08:43 AM
AzFred
Visiting Guest
Builders of that era put a covering (ie carpet) directly over the fir "sheathing" that you found. Luan or hardboard was used under linolium and occasional tile surfaces. You can replace a board to cover the "hole" that you've discovered. Do you plan to include the floor area over the crawl space? If you do there are some cautions that need to be recognized.

Checking for flatness requires more than a level. Get yourself a "chaulk line" or heavy twine that is long enough to stretch from one corner to the opposite corner of the largest room or area. Draw the line tight from corner to corner near the floor surface and measure the distance to the floor about every 3 or 4 feet recording the dimensions. Then do the same across the opposite corners and finaly do the same from the center of the distance between corners, both ways. The dimension is not what is important, the difference of dimensions is important. You should NOT have more than a 1/8" difference in 8 feet to satisfy most manufacturers installation instructions and warrantee.

Old 12-31-02, 03:55 PM
SHGryphon
Visiting Guest
Fur over fir

You got that right! When I lifted off the stone slab, I found the floorboards were full of staples with bits of ... bleah ... white shag carpeting stuck in them.

Part of the living room is in fact above the dirt-floor crawlspace portion of the basement. It's about five feet above the dirt floor.

Thanks for the good information.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: