Wood floor stains

Old 12-30-02, 09:01 AM
tomroth
Visiting Guest
Wood floor stains

I have new wood floors in my living room where I put the XMAS tree this year. The cat decided he was going to pee under the tree and it's left a stain.

The floors have 3 coats of polyurethane on them, but yet it seems to have gotten through (the wood is darkened - even black at some spots).

Is there some way to clean this, can I sand the spot and re-coat with polyurethane, or do i need to relay the whole floor? If I sand and recoat do I need to do the whole room? And also, could I use a small sander (orbital) instead of one of the big floor sanders? (the spot is about 3 ft by 3ft).

Any ideas would be appreciated

Old 12-30-02, 09:23 PM
hatchet
Visiting Guest
If anything as far as stripping I would use a very mild stripping agent. If that doesn't work get out the orbital and sand in a controlled area - possibly even taping the area off. Get down to raw wood if you can - not sure how long that will take. Get some industrial strength bleach - non-chlorine. This should lighten the wood up in the darker areas. Just rub with a sponge or if not working get wet/dry sandpaper and rub it in with that.
Then you'll have to re-finish it with the same type finish. Get it close to the same thickness and then sand with 0000 steel wool to feather the edges of the finish back together.

Just my .02

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: