Need advice

Old 01-01-03, 10:42 AM
nhanniford
Visiting Guest
Need advice

My husband and I are considering laying laminate flooring throughout our home because of allergy issues. This is our first home and we are carefully weighing the cost savings of doing this ourselves. We have a 1955 ranch in Orlando Florida with terrazo subfloor - it is supposed to be flat and easy to work with. We have done a lot of reading and feel comfortable with most of the floor laying process. My biggest concern lies in cutting and securing the flooring around doorways. If the quarter round is what holds the floating floor in place, how do I secure the flooring around the doorways? I welcome any advice on this subject.

Thank you and Happy New Year!

Old 01-01-03, 04:24 PM
AzFred
Visiting Guest
Laminate floors are typically installed as "floating floors". That is they are not secured but rather "float" on the surface below. For this reason there are specific requirements for "flatness" of the sub floor and this should NOT be assumed or guessed about. The sub floor Is Flat within acceptable specification or it is Not. The edge of the flooring should be "trimmed" at doorways and there are several ways that this can be accomplished depending on the specific "doorway" condition and construction. Most installation instruction address this issue, a pro installer may be consulted or you can bring your question here for an answer. The more detail that you bring will allow for a more detailed response.

Old 01-01-03, 07:31 PM
RealWoodFloors
Visiting Guest
If you are worried about your ability to install flooring at doorways. Undercut the door jambs and casing so the flooring will slide underneath.

AL

Old 01-02-03, 05:55 AM
Locy's Hardwood
Visiting Guest
i agree with al we generally undercut the doorways. This creates a clean transition through the doorways and still allows for expansion (movement ) of the floor.
Philly

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: