Which nails to use???

Old 01-04-03, 12:06 PM
ejns
Visiting Guest
Which nails to use???

I want to install a hardwood floor for which I have all materials except one, the right nails. I am nailing it by hand (with hammer). The strips are oak 3/4'' thick and the underlayment is Plywood.
What are the right nails to buy???? Length, thickness, specs so I can buy the exact ones.

Old 01-04-03, 03:28 PM
Locy's Hardwood
Visiting Guest
Right size nails???

I seriously hope that either you have a very small area in which to cover or you have a nailer and you just need to know what sizes fit the nailer you have.
I would recomend that you rent either a powernailer or a pneumatic stapler for this application. Not only will it save you hours of drilling and setting but these tools also aid in setting the boards to remove gaps between them. Good ones to look for are hi-pro staplers and bostich nailers and staplers. I can not tell you which size because if you have radiant floor heating i would recomend adifferent size than if it were a normal intsall.

Philly

Old 01-05-03, 06:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lets put it this way...

You don't want the nail to go penetrate all the way through, busting out the back of the primary subfloor. The rule I use, flooring thickness, plus subfloor thickness. The angle for proper nailing makes up for the fact that your not going into the top of the board unless face nailing, but lower on the tongue, plus setting.

I hope your not doing much either! Drilling and hand nailing isn't as solid as installation as the nailing tools used today produce.

If your in some historic building, were squeaks are necessary for the rustic feel Then by all means drill, nail and set heads till your heart desires

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: