Finishing wood floors

Old 01-05-03, 11:16 AM
trae
Visiting Guest
Finishing wood floors

our hardwood floors have been carpeted for the past 30 years (previous owners) and they're dried out, whatever finish they had previously (before the carpet) has completely worn off in most areas. they look awful. unfortunately, we simply can't afford to redo them, either financially or time-wise. we had purchased the replenish kits, but with a one year old and a huge dog, we cannot block off the main areas for a day (main hall, stairwell, etc.). i'm wondering if in the short term, purely for aesthtics (sp?), we could oil it to make it at least look less dried out. (wax would be too dangerous). i'm not concerned about the difficulty when it comes time to redo them, i need to make them look good NOW!

simply put, can i use oil (linseed oil?) and rub it in to the floors?

any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

trae.

Last edited by twelvepole; 01-05-03 at 01:22 PM.
Old 01-05-03, 01:21 PM
T
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Finishing wood floors

If you plan on refinishing with a polyurethane finish, you should not apply oil or wax to flooring. Oils and waxes will contaminate the wood and tend to create adhesion problems when it comes time to refinish.

If you currently have an oil finish, you can apply oil. If you currently have a wax finish, then you can rewax. If you have a surface finish like shellac, varnish, or poly, oils and waxes are not recommended.

You can find more info on floor finishes, refinishing, and maintenance at www.finishingwoodfloors.com

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: