Wood floors

Old 01-06-03, 05:59 AM
D
Dig
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wood floors

I live in a condo and am considering adding a wood floor. My neighbor just layed a wood floor in his hallway. It looked very nice and was a lot less expensive than tile.

My question is in regards to the way he layed the floor. When you walk into the condo there is a 14 x 3 hallway leading into the living area.

He layed the boards longways down the hall. Is this the correct way to plays the boards?

I remember usually seeing most houses with wood floors, the seams run the width of the house. If he were to floor the rest of the first floor how would he match the boards.

Should the boards be laid long ways or across the 3 foot width?

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks

Old 01-06-03, 06:24 AM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Installing wood floors

It is recommended that hardwood floors be laid perpendicular to the floor joists. In other words, they are laid across the joists, not along them.

For more info on installing hardwood floors, go to www.installingwoodfloors.com

Old 01-06-03, 04:23 PM
H
Dig:

Being in a condo I'm guessing it may be a concrete subfloor? It really depends on the layout but in general I always try to make an attempt to run the flooring lengthwise as it gives it a larger appearance. You can always reverse the direction in the other areas depending if you have a floor joist system. Subfloors with thicknesses of 1" and 16" joists on center can have the flooring run in any direction as there is enough support that will not create sagging etc.

Somebody told me the image tags were turned on here so let's see if I can finally get a picture up.

Old 01-07-03, 05:47 AM
D
Dig
Thanks for the info guys (that's NJ for either male or female).

You both have presented some great websites with excellant information.

On the hardwoodinstaller.con site I wish some of the thumbnails were larger. I also noticed that one of the installers mentioned in the photos is in my town. But you know how do-it-your-selfers are.

I was looking at my neighbors floor again and he was saying that he did not have a nail gun and had to do it by hand which took a lot longer.

He did run it parallel to the joists which I guess isn't that important except that if he decides to lay more it will look strange, at least to me, running opposite. But none of that matters since I can run mine anyway I please.

Just thinking out loud here.

Thanks for the help and now I just have to decide if I want to go flooring or tile. Tile looks like it will be much more work but I am off to another friend's house who just tiled their own floor and said it was a breeze.

So much to do, so little time.

Thanks

Old 01-07-03, 06:15 AM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Installing ceramic tile

For tile installation tips, go to www.doityourself.com/ceramic on this website. If you do not have a concrete subfloor, using a concrete underlayment board is preferred in order to provide a substrate that has no movement. Movement beneath tile can result in grout failure and possibly cracked tiles.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: