Oak floor got wet, what else can I do?!!

Old 01-06-03, 01:10 PM
1AB
Visiting Guest
Oak floor got wet, what else can I do?!!

Long story-short, had a water line burst and soaked a 10'x15'(almost in the center of a room 24'x30') area downstairs 3/4"x2 1/4" red oak, felt paper and 3/4 t&g plywood all aprox. 3 yrs old.

The water was only on the floor for a few minutes, we took every water wicking item we had and threw it in the floor to start soakeing up the water. We used a large shop vac to suck the water up. It probably took us about an 1/2 to 1 hr to get everything dry to the touch.

The floor has cupped and is obviously very tight. We have had a large fan blowing on the floor from day one. Is there anything else I can do?

I live in centeral TN, and the soil here is very poor, it is always moist/wet under the house(do have thick vapor barrier on ground under house). The floor changes season to season, cupps in the summer, flatens out and gets a small gap or two in the winter.

Anyway, will the floor settle back to it's normal condition when the moisture content levels out? Should I put a fan under the house to help dry from both sides.

Thanks for any help or ideas

Late...

Old 01-08-03, 02:50 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Wet hardwood flooring

Place a dehumidifier in the affected area along with the fans. The dehumidifier will help remove excess moisture from hardwood flooring. After floor dries out with fans and dehumidifier and cupping problems remain, sanding down to remove cupping and refinishing is an option. Maintaining temperature and humidity levels in the home year round, tends to minimize the effects of seasonal expansion and contraction of hardwood flooring.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: