squeaky floors

Old 01-06-03, 09:31 PM
meechi11
Visiting Guest
Cool squeaky floors

I am hoping someone can offer me any tips on how to fix a squeaky floor. I have a tri-level home, carpeting throughout. At the base of my main level staircase there is an area about 2ftx2ft that squeaks very loudly whenever there is pressure put on it. It there a way to fix this without having to rip up my carpet?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-03, 04:48 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Re: squeaky floors

Originally posted by meechi11
I am hoping someone can offer me any tips on how to fix a squeaky floor. I have a tri-level home, carpeting throughout. At the base of my main level staircase there is an area about 2ftx2ft that squeaks very loudly whenever there is pressure put on it. It there a way to fix this without having to rip up my carpet?

Thanks
Meechi11
you need to post your question in the floors forum.
no replies allowed in the Tips area.
fred

Old 01-07-03, 03:15 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
At one time in my installation career. I specialized in squeak repairs under the carpets of new home builders around Austin. It was a full time head ache, much less a job!

Lack of construction adhesive, between the subfloor and joist is the most seen cause.
The use of nails instead of screws causes the second most cause, as it is the plywood, or mainly OSB rubbing up and down on the nail.

Baseboards crammed down on the subfloor will also squeak as you step into the span of the joist, especially with 24" joist spacing.

Pulling the carpet & cushion to expose the subfloor is the only way I know to properly fix it for sure. Row cut for seams if you need to cut anything open!

They sell a squeak removal tool that uses screws that you break the heads off of. Works OK for about a month if your subfloor is OSB, and about a year on plywood. See there is no head to suck and KEEP the subfloor tight. They actually tend to separate the subfloor from the joist at times. Also the drive heads snap, leaving a screw sticking up without a head to easily remove it.

Looks like a drive-by shooting, on a nice plush.

Forget about screwing anything through a loop pile berber carpet! Unless you like to live on the edge, and love gambling.

Old 01-21-03, 06:31 PM
woodpecker
Visiting Guest
get a bundle of wood shingles. have someone walk on the floor where the squeaks are and pound a shingle into it. if the framing is exposed

Old 02-03-03, 12:21 PM
AdrianM
Visiting Guest
the squeak on our the 3rd and 4th step of our stairs is kind of annoying but I figure it'll come in handy when the kids are older and trying to sneak in, so I'm leaving it.