hardwood floors

Old 01-09-03, 08:14 AM
Anj
Visiting Guest
hardwood floors

We've about to move into a house that has hardwood floors in the bedrooms. Maintenance depends on whether the floors are waxed or not, if I'm reading correctly. How do you tell what kind of finish the floors have? The floors are clean but slippery, and the finish is like a low gloss satin. I need to hear from a voice of experience.
Thanks.

Anj

Old 01-09-03, 06:25 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Type of floor finish

Polyurethane is one of the most popular finishes in use today and will be found in most homes. You can test for poly by applying a small amount of paint remover to the floor surface. Poly will bubble. If the finish is a surface finish like poly, shellac, or varnish, you will be able to scrape up a clear material with a sharp blade. .

The finish is probably wax if you can feel the wood grain when you run your hand over the floor surface. You can test for a wax finish by spilling a tablespoon of water in an inconspicous area. If the floor finish turns white, you have a wax finish.

If youíre not certain after trying these tests, contact a reputable floor refinisher. A professional can tell you what type of finish you have. A waxed finish can be rewaxed. An oil finish can be reoiled. A surface finish will require removing the old finish and replacing it. If the surface finish has been contaminated with oils or waxes, then you will probably have adhesion problems when applying new finish.

Old 01-10-03, 11:08 AM
Anj
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the info - it's just what I was looking for.

Anj

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: