laminate floors and unlevels subs

Old 01-28-03, 07:42 AM
sams
Visiting Guest
laminate floors and unlevels subs

I am looking at installing wood laminate flooring in a house I have just purchased. The floor of the bedroom where this will eb installed is not level. The run out seam to be about 1.5" over an 18' long room and 1.5" from across a 10' wide room. Will I need to put in a sub floor to level it or is thi sgentle slope acceptable for this application.

Thanks in advance

Sam

Old 01-28-03, 08:04 AM
Texas wood
Visiting Guest
The floor does not have to be level, it has to be flat. Depending on your manufacturers instructions, for example, flat to within 3/16" over 10' means as long as the floor has no "hills" or "valleys" greater than 3/16" in that 10' you are fine. Some people use a string, pull it across the room and then measures the distance from the string to the floor, if no dimension is greater than 3/16" (if that is your manufactures requirment) you are good to go. If you do not level the floor you will have problems.

Old 01-28-03, 08:06 AM
Texas wood
Visiting Guest
Sorry, I messed up with my verbage in my reply. It should have said in the last sentance "it has to be flat or your floor will have problems", not Level!!!

Old 01-28-03, 09:22 AM
sams
Visiting Guest
Texaswood,

That was pretty much my guess, thank you for confirming it. I'm sure I will have a few more ?s before this is even started no matter over.

Sam

Old 02-02-03, 02:44 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Armstrong & Formica brands of laminate flooring say that you are allowed 1" of slope per 6' run so it looks like your floor may be acceptable. See if you can find the spec's for your specific manufacturer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: