Popping Sound Wood Flooring

Old 01-30-03, 09:07 AM
Elouny1
Visiting Guest
Popping Sound Wood Flooring

Hi
We had hardwood floors installed in our dining and living rooms last March. Both rooms are empty, no furniture. We have noticed lately a loud popping sound coming from the floor. It is loud enough that we can hear it from other parts of the house if the house is quiet. I have read about floors creaking when you walk on them, but this seems to happen when no one is even in the room somewhat randomly. Is this normal? I didn't happen in the Fall or Summer that we noticed. I inspected the floor and do not see anything out of the ordinary. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 01-30-03, 10:52 AM
Texas wood
Visiting Guest
I am completely guessing so digest the information with this understanding. As the humidity level in your house changes the wood expands and contracts. It is the microscopic movement between the planks (toungue and groove connection) genrating the sound. Like a stick and release. The floor expands and then all the suddend it shifts. I have heard but have never tried sprinkling baby powerd on your floor. This gets in the gaps between the planks and lubricates them. Once again I am guessing and hopefully someone with concrete experience will explain in more detail and the cure.

Old 01-30-03, 10:58 AM
Elouny1
Visiting Guest
That sounds like a logical explanation. I read I think on Bruce floors website about the powder idea you mentioned-- can't hurt I suppose. The first couple of times the noise happened it scared me to death since the noise is so loud, I thought someone was in there..... ;-) First time homeowner here..... lots to get used to I guess. Thanks again for your reply. Any other thoughts from others much appreciated too.

Old 01-30-03, 11:42 AM
brickeyee
Visiting Guest
The powder is more for squeeks. Wood floors move. There is no way to stop them unless you hold the humidity exactly constant. you should hear the sounds from a post and beam house I worked in. Some of them sounded like gunshots as 8x8, 10x10, and 12x12 timbers dried and checked.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: