level sub floor? (old house)

Old 01-31-03, 06:36 AM
sprocket226
Visiting Guest
level sub floor? (old house)

Hello, I live in a house built in 1870, I'm re-doing the kitchen. The floor is not level. In a span of 20' the floor drops about 4". What's the best way to level the sub floor? In the basement, the beam for the floor joists was put in wrong, (it's made of 4- 2x6's laying horizontal instead of vert.) I'm putting new beam in this weekend, but it still won't raise floor enough. Whats the best way to level the floor? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-03, 02:40 PM
RealWoodFloors
Visiting Guest
After you have done your structural work. Remove the subfloor exposing the existing rafters. mark a level line from the highest point all the way around the room. With straight 2X material level a board against the side of the existing rafter and mark the top of the rafter to the 2X and rip the board on that line. Screw and glue this piece to the top of the existing rafter. On the taller rips you can scab a piece of plywood on each side for added strength. install your subfloor on this structure for a level floor. With this technique I completely leveled a 2.25" slope in an eleven foot wide kitchen in a 100 year old victorian home. This fixes the problem and adds the least amount of weight to the structure.

Good Luck, AL

Old 01-31-03, 06:06 PM
sprocket226
Visiting Guest
Al, that's a great idea, I would of never thought of that- do you think there is a way I can do it without taking the sub-floor up though? Some one here at work told me there is a floor leveling compound (?). Well if not taking up the floor shoudn't be to big of a job, kitchen is 10X13, Thanks again!

Old 01-31-03, 06:21 PM
RealWoodFloors
Visiting Guest
sprocket,

You can do it on top of the subfloor if you have enough height. The rippers should be on top of and in line with the rafters. That is for best structural purposes. But then you have to put 3/4" plywood on top of the rippers and this adds height and weight to the floor structure. If the rafters will carry the load you can do it either way.\

AL

Old 01-31-03, 06:36 PM
sprocket226
Visiting Guest
Al, Got plenty of height, 10 ft. ceilings , I'll give it a shot this week, Thanks!

Old 01-31-03, 06:54 PM
RealWoodFloors
Visiting Guest
Bill,

If you leave the subflooring in place. Rent a laser level to make the job easier and faster. Take a few measurements along top of rafters to take out humps and valleys in floor. Lay the 2X next to where you are measuring and transfer the measurement to the 2X. use a straight edge to connect the dots.

AL