In which direction?

Old 02-07-03, 02:31 PM
Nascar Fan
Visiting Guest
In which direction?

I have 5/8" sub-floor and would like to install an additional 1/4" plywood over it in order to make the floor level with the remaining rooms. I have heard that you should install the additional 4x8 sheets perpendicular to the floor joist.

On top of the 1/4" plywood, I would like to install 3/8" engineered hardwood.

My first question is: Do I still install the engineered hardwood perpendicular to the floor joist as one would normally do?

Secondly, should I use some type of adhesive under the additional layer of plywood, or will using screws only do?

I would like to prevent as many future squeeks as possible.

What do you think?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-03, 03:32 PM
Locy's Hardwood
Visiting Guest
direction

Nascar
It would depend on the installation method. Are you planning to float the floor or will it be a glue down? If you are going to float it eaither way would be fine. For a glue down you would run it perpendicular to the joists. I hope this helps sisnce you said in your post I would like to prevent as many future squeeks as possible. a glue down would be the way to go

Philly

Old 02-10-03, 08:20 AM
Nascar Fan
Visiting Guest
Philly,

I plan to use the staple-down method with the 3/8" engineered hardwood. It will be installed on the main floor of the house.

I had heard that if you glued down the additional 4x8 sheets of plywood in addition to screwing it down, this would help prevent future squeeks. I did not know if this was true. Is it? Is it really needed?

For my other question, once I lay down the additional plywood perpendicular to the joists, should I still staple-down the 3/8" engineered hardwood perpendicular to the joists?

Thanks for your input.

Old 02-11-03, 05:11 AM
Locy's Hardwood
Visiting Guest
Glueing and screwing is the best. Yes run your flooring perp to joists better strength. What is the subfloor now ? Is there a reason you are putting down the plywood down? are you trying to level the floor or make up a height difference?

Philly

Old 02-11-03, 07:24 AM
Nascar Fan
Visiting Guest
Philly,

The hardwood floor will be installed in the dining room, kitchen, living room and hall. The dining room, living room and hall currently have carpet. They are small areas so it will be about 400 sq.ft. of hardwood.

The kitchen had 3/4" particle board on top of the subfloor. I have already removed the particle board. Boy, that was a job! Anyway, the kitchen has a door that leads into the laundry room which still has the 3/4" particle board with old vinyl flooring attached to it.

At the end of the hall there is a bathroom which still has the 3/4" particle board and vinyl flooring.

I know the sub-floor is 5/8" but I am not sure what type. How can I tell by just looking at the sub-floor in the kitchen? The house was built in 1984. I just thought I would put down the additional flooring to help the hardwood meet as close as possible to the height of the laundry and bathroom.

I have not purchased the flooring yet because I want to weigh all of my options first. I have also thought about just laying down 3/4" solid hardwood, but was not sure if there would be enough clearance under the entry and basement door sills. It think it would be cheaper to put down the extra 1/4" plywood floor and install the 3/8" engineered floor.

Should I just use a transitional mould under the laundry and bathroom floors? If so, what type?

The other bedroom doors that will be transitioned by the hardwood will be covered with new carpet. I thought I could just run one strip of hardwood horizontal under those doors.

The current subfloor that was originally nailed down has areas that squeek and I would like to fix them. I heard that you can just get some 2 1/2" drywall screws and screw them down into the joist. Is there anything else I can do?

What are your thoughts?
Thanks. This helps me a great deal.