which type of wood flooring???

Old 02-07-03, 04:52 PM
matkinusa1
Visiting Guest
which type of wood flooring???

I am trying to decide which type of wood floor to install, could any one give me an idea?? The following are the specifics of the room. House built in the 30's, pine tongue / groove floor covered with carpet now, underlayment under carpet. The original wood floor is not good enough to restore. Floor is level, but a very little movement as we walk ( I am a heavy guy). I have one floor jack ( in basement) under the high traffic path in the room. Two doorways have ceramic tile in the other rooms. One doorway has carpet in the other room. Should I use a floating, nailed, or glued installation?? What type of flooring would be best , laminate, engineered, really don't want parquet, or square tile. Any thoughts or experience would be helpful. THANKS

Old 02-08-03, 04:49 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Matt:

So many variables without actually seeing the condition of the subfloor. A floating system would be much easier for a diy'er. If you choose to go with a naildown it's important to run the new flooring opposite the old or add another subfloor if you prefer the same direction. I would say no to a gluedown unless you feel very confident in doing so..gets really messy too!

The rest is your choice but I would have to lean to hardwoods for longevity. You should be able to find other views in the archives from people that went through the similar confusing road to making a choice.

Good Luck
Ken Fisher

---finally back home...

Old 02-08-03, 07:59 PM
Thomas N Tucson
Visiting Guest
Matt---
Go with the floating floor You will be much happer in the long run for a DIY.....Good Luck Thomas

Old 02-13-03, 09:41 AM
David Leonard
Visiting Guest
I prefer 3/4" hardwoods. The thickness of the wood adds to the strength of the floor. Less "give" to the floor, and reduces squeaks. I always screw down the subfloor to the joists as the first step to eliminate squeaks and reduce movement in the floor. I thought flooring was always supposed to be laid opposite the direction of the joists?

Old 02-14-03, 08:12 AM
Texas wood
Visiting Guest
With a floating floor you will also get verticle movement. Movement at times = noise. I have seen alot of floating installations that do not squek but crackle, this is usually when their is a change in humididity. The only silent installation is a correctly installed glue down. If you are going over wood, why would you not staple down? Go to Hoskinghardwoods.com, under their foruum and read the post about floating floors. Alot of fantastic information.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: