how to trim parquet?

Old 02-10-03, 01:29 PM
Zgirl
Visiting Guest
Question how to trim parquet?

I've tried a jig saw with a fine wood blade and ended up with a mess. The tiles fell apart and I couldn't get a smooth edge.

The tile instructions (Bruce solid oak parquet tiles, glue-down type) give no tips on cutting but just say "use a sabre saw or small band saw to trim tiles". I have borrowed a band saw from a neighbor... does anyone have any tips for me before I tackle this method? I don't want to tear up any more tiles experimenting!

Old 02-10-03, 04:08 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Band saws will do the trick. Be careful with them as many parquets are held together with wire along with hot melt glue. Use protection at all times and take it slow. For intricate cuts use tape, mark the cut, and cut away. Tape will hold together all the itty bitty pieces that will otherwise fall to the floor and be hard to find let alone fit together.

Old 02-11-03, 04:20 AM
Locy's Hardwood
Visiting Guest
Cutting Parquet

Having faced many of these issues in the past we made a jig to cut parquet. Take a 2x2 sheet of 3/4 in plywood ( not osb ) using a jig saw cut a 1 in slot in the center about 18 in long. Place the plywood over two saw horses and your in buisness. We simply mark and then clamp the square in place. Cut using a smooth wood/metal blade for jig saw. ALWAYS USE PROTECTION WHEN CUTTING !!! the ply wod and clamps cut down on the jumping around of the saw.

Philly

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: