i have a problem....along with a question?

Old 02-13-03, 08:02 PM
tom sawyer
Visiting Guest
i have a problem....along with a question?

hello
first my question....
i have 3/4 inch bruce hardwood floors in the kitchen,hall,and foyer
installed on a subfloor above a 3 foot crawl space. i have noticed sometimes when you walk on it you hear creaks and all the noises associated with wood. is this normal???i think it is ...i am trying too tell my wife so..she thinks we have got a bad product or install.
now my question
in the center of hall i have noticed two boards which appear too have either come loose or just didnt get nailed at all...its the only two i can find the move when walking across the floor.
what can i do about this???????
thanks!!!!!
T>

Old 02-14-03, 09:26 AM
David Leonard
Visiting Guest
Can you crawl around in the craw space?

Old 02-14-03, 07:48 PM
tom sawyer
Visiting Guest
yes,, it is where my air handler and well tank is
T>

Old 02-16-03, 07:33 PM
tom sawyer
Visiting Guest
ummmm....is this the right forum??????
help??!!!
T>

Old 02-17-03, 02:26 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Tom:

It sounds like a high or low spot in the subfloor that may be causing this...or as you state "didn't get nailed" You could have someone heavy stand on the area and top nail it and see if that works first. Hard to say without actually being there.

Ken

Old 02-17-03, 04:24 AM
J
Tom, Are the 2 boards end to end in the same row? If they are it sounds like they were not fastened down. My Bostich stapler will keep firing even though the magazine is empty.

If that is the case I would try top or face nailing.

Old 02-17-03, 04:29 AM
H
Geesh Jerry:

You're following me everywhere. Thanks for the help We all could use it.

Ken Fisher

Old 02-17-03, 09:14 AM
tom sawyer
Visiting Guest
hey thanks
after a hands and knees inspection......the boards consist of three .....side by side ...ranging from 15 inch piece too 3 foot piece.
its the center board in the hall..along with two on one side of it.
what size nail do i use too top nail it and how far do i counter sink it?????
T>

Old 02-17-03, 09:22 AM
H
Tom:

Use a ring shank finish nail. Preferably one that will bite into the subfloor. The longer ones won't work as well. Predill a hole smaller than the diameter of the nail through the hardwood only on a 45 degree angle. Send it home and countersink it about 1/8"+

Oh, have someone stand on the area while you're nailing it.

Ken Fisher

Old 02-17-03, 09:57 AM
tom sawyer
Visiting Guest
what penny size nail????
thanks again!!!!!!!

Old 02-17-03, 02:56 PM
dacoach
Visiting Guest
I have a customer with a brazilian cherry wood floor. If you put a hole like that in their floor you would be installing a new floor in their house. A hardwood floor company (that is all that they do) has one or two people standon the squeekly or the loose part and one person screwing from the bottom pulling the boards tight. Mistakes happen. You just have to be carefull not to go through. It might take alot of screws to find the right spot. Use a two way radio to talk to eachother or you might lose your voice.

Old 02-17-03, 03:43 PM
H
Hey Tom:

Coach has a better idea if you can access it from below.. 2" or smaller.

Old 02-18-03, 07:36 AM
David Leonard
Visiting Guest
If it was me I'd pull the loose board from above if possible. Drill a hole from above. Stick a piece of colored electrical wire in the hole. Then you can see the wire from the crawl space. Figure out how thick the subfloor is. Add a 1/2" to penetrate half the thickness of the 3/4" wood flooring.
Pre-drill your holes from above with the wood pulled. Then you have holes to work from in the crawl space. Have someone stand on the boards, then predrill 1/2" into the boards, screw down. The boards should pull tight to the subfloor.

Old 02-23-03, 07:16 AM
tom sawyer
Visiting Guest
hey fellows
i have a good amount of top nailing anyways...so i am just gonna top nail the boards..what size nail do i use..the installers used very skinny nails in a gun..when they penetrated it was very un noticeable.then they filled any counter sinks with putty...looked very nice!!!
i feel instaling 3/4 inch floor on top of a crawl space is prone too problems....plain and simple
T>

Old 02-28-03, 10:47 AM
tom sawyer
Visiting Guest
anyone?

Old 02-28-03, 11:22 PM
J
Tom,

6 penny finish nail, or you might consider using trim screws.

http://www.worksavers.com/countersnap.html

Old 03-05-03, 06:23 AM
David Leonard
Visiting Guest
You probably want to use finish nails for the smaller hole to hide. Home Depot now has drywall screws for finish work that have a smaller head. I am going to use these for my last row of boards in the future instead of nails. You cant beat screws for keeping wood from loosening and squeaking!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: