Help! Ugly seams in laminate floor

Old 02-24-03, 03:19 PM
llafronz
Visiting Guest
Help! Ugly seams in laminate floor

We installed a Shaw Decades laminate floor in our kitchen in Nov. 2002. The seams between the planks were perfectly flush and fine after installation. We used straps and followed all other directions.

However, over time, ugly seams have appeared on about 5 consecutive rows of the flooring - some as wide as 1/8 of an inch. I think it may be due to the cruddy glue that the company I bought the flooring from supplied, which dried up 1/2 way through installation.

My question is, is there ANYTHING that I can safely use to fill in the seams to make them less noticeable that wouldn't get screwed up due to changes in the weather? I called Shaw and the person I spoke with didn't have any useful suggestions.

I thought about filling them with something like wood putty and then painting them to match the floor, but am worried that it will eventually get all screwed up with humidity and other weather changes.

I am also worried that further shifts could occur later on. Is there any way to secure the planks while filling in the existing seams so there are no further shifts?

Old 02-24-03, 04:50 PM
AzFred
Visiting Guest
You can use an exact match acrylic caulk and a putty knife and wet rag to fix your problem. The acrylic caulk found at the link below will allow a water clean up. Clean the floor often as you work and again at the end of the filling. Use a laminate cleaner made by BonaX (may be private labeled) when you are finishes, dry completely and buff with a dust mop. The idea of the extreme cleaning is to avoid a film on you floor.Acrylic Caulk

Old 02-25-03, 12:31 PM
llafronz
Visiting Guest
Thanks Fred! Sounds like it will work great - I'll try it!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: