Oak Stairs treatment?

Old 02-26-03, 09:10 AM
jhaney
Visiting Guest
Question Oak Stairs treatment?

I have a set of stairs in my house that I am not sure how to finish off. Here is the situation, it is a raised ranch home with 7 stairs that go up and seven that go down. The stairs have red oak treads, with pine risers. The treads were refinished when the hardwood floors were done and the risers are painted white like the rest of the house.

The problem is that he risers are taking a beatig and look like crap. I am trying to figure out what I should do, ie a carpet runner up the stairs, tile the risers, just kepp painting the riser every couple years or what. The main floor is currently all hardwood accept for the kitchen and bathroom, the foyer as you walk in from the out side is currently hardwood but I am most likely going to tile it along with the area at the bottom of the stairs.

Any ideas would be great

Joshua

Old 02-26-03, 12:17 PM
Locy's Hardwood
Visiting Guest
Because the risers are pine i would just keep painting. Touch them up once a year. Another thought would be to find out the overhang of the tred. If the space is enough you could a piece of 1/4 in oak on top of the pine and have it match the rest of the stairs. I've even seen people that have wallpapered or contact papered the riser for the effect they were looking for.

The choices are endless.

Philly

Old 02-26-03, 12:59 PM
jhaney
Visiting Guest
Thank for the info I was considering some kind of tile or maybe a carpet runner but I was worried how the carpet would look

Old 02-26-03, 01:19 PM
Locy's Hardwood
Visiting Guest
The carpet will look fine but if you do decide to go with a runner be prepared if you want to go back to the hardwood on the stairs the outside will be darker than the center because of the lack of light and use. Just food for thought.

Philly

Old 02-26-03, 01:24 PM
jhaney
Visiting Guest
Thanks again for the info, Do you know of any resources that I can look at for examples

Old 02-27-03, 10:52 AM
RealWoodFloors
Visiting Guest
Joshua,

If the white is getting to marked up. Would gloss black work for you?

AL

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: