fixing creeky steps before refinishing

Old 03-06-03, 08:12 AM
E
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fixing creeky steps before refinishing

I apologize. I know that this has been asked before but i could not find any info on my individual problem when doing a search. I just finished scraping all of the backing of the glued down carpet off from my hardwood red oak stairs (what were the previous owners thinking!! ) of course they became damaged in the process so I need to refinish. However before I undertake that project the steps are very squeaky. I have no access at all to the stairs underneath. I drove down a few of the nailheads that were popping up but that did nothing. What do I do to solve this. I want to of course get this taken care of before I refinish. Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated. If you need more info on the steps let me know. Thank you in advance.

Old 03-14-03, 08:56 AM
E
I apologize for having to bump this back up but I am in serious need for help. Everything that I have found in a search has been about how to fix the steps if you have access from below. Also I have heard about putting baby powder down but that doesn't seen too permanent to me. Thank you in advance for any advice you can offer.

Old 03-15-03, 07:53 AM
RealWoodFloors
Visiting Guest
Evan,

Try using sheetrock screws with a finish head. It is like a normal sheetrock screw but with a head about the size of a 16 penny finish nail. Hardware stores and lumber yards usually carry them. They take square head or torx screwdriver bits to install them. Predrill with a 9/64" drill bit and install the screw until it is about 1/8" below the surface. Then the hole can be filled. 9/64" predrilled hole is the key in hardwood. Smaller and the screw tends to break and larger the threads don't grip well enough.

Good Luck, AL

Old 03-15-03, 02:43 PM
You can also counter bore where the screws will be and plug the hole with an oak dowel. Cutoff, and sand, and finish.

If you decide to counterboore for screws and plug, use deck screws in lieu of sheetrock screws.

fred

Old 03-17-03, 08:44 AM
E
Thank you so much AL and Fred. Those were the types of answers that I needed. I knew someone would come through for me .

Old 03-18-03, 04:36 PM
ct287
Visiting Guest
I had same situation when did my floor.

I just used floor nailer face nailed the spot where it squeaks. The flooring nail for the nailer (Porta-Nailer Hammerhead2) has jagged edges that holds the floor down from squeaking. When you apply the woodfiller, the tiny hole on top of the sunk nail will be covered completely. It is much faster and easier than using the screws. Regular nails won't do you any good since they can't grab on anything while the flooring nail is designed to hold the floor in place. I had a couple of times that the nail went in only 1/2" (total length is ~ 2-1/2") and I tried to pull it out but ended up breaking it and had to set it with a nail setter. That's how much grabbing power it has.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: