Hardwood Floor Seam Cracks

Old 03-06-03, 06:17 PM
efd600
Visiting Guest
Question Hardwood Floor Seam Cracks

Approximately one year ago I had a new hardwood floor installed in my kitchen and dining room. Over the past few weeks I have noticed small hairline cracks between the strips of wood (the cracks are not in the wood itself). I have done some research on this and I think this may be a problem due to the dryness of the air over the past winter (our humidifier was on the blink for most of the winter). Also, I understand that wood flooring has to complete a "cycle" before it "settles in" - I guess this has to do with expansion and contraction of the wood.

My questions are:

1) Will the cracks become less noticeable when the temperature and humidity start to increase (I live in the Great Lakes Region)?

2) Is this a defect of installation? How would I go about proving it?

3) Is this a "cyclic" occurence based on temperature/humidity? If not, can I repair it without replacing the whole floor?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Eric

Old 03-08-03, 06:43 AM
RealWoodFloors
Visiting Guest
Eric,

Yes it is a seasonal thing. The dry heat and cold ground temperatures of winter cause wood floors to shrink. The warm ground temperature and warm humid air of summer make them expand. If you have small cracks now they should disapear this summer. Only to return next winter. Wood floors aren't perfect but they sure are beautiful.

AL

Old 03-09-03, 04:39 AM
B
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Our 50+ year old floors do this too. I think next fall we are going to have a humidifier installed on our furnace. Contractors have quoted prices of $400 to $450 for Aprilaire. Was going to do it next week, but decided we wanted a full winter season of operation immediately after installation. Hope it will help.

Bruce

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: