Laminate question...slight bounce...???

Old 03-11-03, 07:04 AM
vwsteve
Visiting Guest
Laminate question...slight bounce...???

brief background....and yes, I'm a newbie

Well....after researching a few different brands of laminate flooring I went with the Armstrong Swif-Lock system....nice flooring for the buck IMO.....but then again, I'm a novice at best but so be it.....

Anyway, I'm a new homeowner and decided to floor the kitchen and then extend the flooring to the front door of my condo and down the long hallway to the rear of the unit....heavy traffic area.

The kitchen opens to the living room and this required about 15 ft. or so of flooring to meet the carpet in that area....created a very nice room division and a nice look....but costly for the transistion pieces....

The floor height from the kitchen to the living room differed about 1/2" or so....I removed the carpet necessary to run the hallway floor and then was faced with a dilemma of sorts with the diffence in height. I made a few calls and was told that I could lay the flooring over the existing padding if it was not to thick...and it wasn't....less than a 1/2" or so.....but providing enough to level out the difference.

I'm getting a very slight bounce effect in that area....nothing to serious but that effect none-the-less....floor is smooth and even but should I be concerned about this at all for the long term?.....and will the floor become damaged by this?...I've talked to others that have a similar experience and was assured that all was well...

The rest of the 1/4" round molding is being finished up today and that should diminish some of the bounce, I am told, but I'm still concerned a bit for the long term....

any input is greatly appreciated...thanx in advance...

Old 03-12-03, 07:57 AM
vwsteve
Visiting Guest
Hmm...slow moving forum...anyone have any insight on this at all?....thanx.

steve.

Old 03-12-03, 07:45 PM
AzFred
Visiting Guest
The advice to NOT use carpet pad is based in the manufacturers instruction which states Not to do do what you've done. The pad or carpet for that matter makes the floor bounce. The sub floor must be a sound, hard, flat surface.

Old 03-13-03, 07:07 AM
vwsteve
Visiting Guest
thanx for the reply.....I'll be reversing the install this weekend...woo hoo...

Old 03-26-03, 02:06 PM
camachinist
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by vwsteve
thanx for the reply.....I'll be reversing the install this weekend...woo hoo...
For the transition you've called out (I'm assuming the carpet is higher), I've seen factory (laminate) transitions (maybe a T would work with the carpet pad removed at the transition area), or, alternitively, you could edge-stop the laminate and edge-mold the carpet. Another option is to mill and stain a custom transition. I've found a table saw and router and a bit of imagination can solve many problems

As AZFred said, definitely no padding/carpeting under the laminate other than the factory recommended underlayment.

Good luck!

Pat

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: