laminate on top of old floor

Old 03-19-03, 03:48 PM
hogrider
Visiting Guest
laminate on top of old floor

Howdy!
I've just recently pulled up the carpeting and padding in my living room. We were going to refinish the old flooring underneath but it's to "ratty" looking and would take alot of work to refinish it. So we decided to put new laminate floor down. I've never done this and I've been researching. I found a site that says you can't lay down laminate in the same direction as the old floor. It has to be laid down on a diagonal or if I want to lay down new flooring to run in the same direction I have to put down plywood over the old floor.

I thought I can just put down the floating floor right on top of the old floor. I want to run it in the same direction. Any suggestions? Thank You!

Old 03-20-03, 09:32 PM
AzFred
Visiting Guest
GO FOR IT. Should not be a problem.

Old 03-21-03, 06:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You would be surprised how a ratty old floor can clean up
I like wood floors better than plastic anyday of the week.

Professional Refinishing is not that expensive about $2-$3/sq where I am and thats still less than the plastic floor. You always could get a quote from a floor guy, and ask the guy to sand a sample patch 3*3 or so in the worst area for you to "prove" how nice the floor can clean up.

Erik,

Old 03-23-03, 04:18 PM
rgillespie
Visiting Guest
You can install it the same direction as the old no problem at all, unless the old foor is too loose.

Robert

Old 03-26-03, 12:21 PM
camachinist
Visiting Guest
I found a site that says you can't lay down laminate in the same direction as the old floor. It has to be laid down on a diagonal or if I want to lay down new flooring to run in the same direction I have to put down plywood over the old floor.

Care to share the URL? I haven't heard of this before and it is nowhere in our Wilsonart installation guide.

Since laminate floors float, IMO, as long as the subfloor is sound and flat, you will have no difficulties. A flexible, unflat subfloor will likely cause you grief though. Wilsonart advises no more than 3/16" out of flat over a 10' span.

So, if your wood floor squeaks and isn't flat, you may need to do some prep work Otherwise, as AZFred said, go for it!

Pat

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: