replace carpet over concrete slab.

Old 03-27-03, 07:45 AM
51pr51
Visiting Guest
replace carpet over concrete slab.

I want to tear up the carpet in the kitchen (on slab) and put down vinyl peel and place tile. I want to know the best/easiest way to insulate our feet from the cold slab. 2nd, What is the best way to attach a threshold from the new kitchen floor to the hallway carpet.

thanks, pr

Old 03-28-03, 09:16 AM
camachinist
Visiting Guest
IME, on an uninsulate/unheated concrete slab floor, carpeting over pad is always the "warmest". Personally, I've found vinyl to be a bit warmer than ceramic tile but still fairly "cold". We're installing laminate in our living room this weekend so I'll offer an opinion on that later.

The carpet, if with or without pad, may be glued to the floor or attached to tack strips at the perimeter. The tack strips may be adhered or nailed to the concrete (ours were nailed). I would suggest investigating the attachment method in an unobtrusive corner of the kitchen before beginning.

I installed peel and stick tile in the shop office where I worked, many years ago (1980's) and recall it was fairly straightforward on a clean, flat concrete slab. I believe we laid out centerlines to designate the middle of the room (with a chalk line) and then laid outward to the walls, checking our runs for square every so often. Most DIY guides will cover the details.

My instincts are the threshold will be attached via nails, screws soley or in concert with adhesive. One of ours is screwed, another I won't be sure of until I pull it up later today. The edge expansion strips for our laminate will be attached with structural adhesive to the concrete, per the mfg instructions.

Hope that helps!

Pat

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: