Laminate, baseboards, and nail guns

Old 03-28-03, 09:07 AM
wallscollins
Visiting Guest
Laminate, baseboards, and nail guns

I've installed a floating laminate floor in my basement and now want to finish up the trim.

Trim is color coordinated baseboard, and in some places quarter-round.

Any suggestions on the proper nail sizes and types to use with a nail gun for the installation?

Thanks much

Sean C

Old 03-28-03, 12:24 PM
camachinist
Visiting Guest
Any suggestions on the proper nail sizes and types to use with a nail gun for the installation?

Depends on the thickness of the baseboard and underlying wallboard. In our case, the baseboard is 1/2" thick and the wallboard is 5/8" thick, so I'll be using 2 1/2" nails when going through both 1/4 round and baseboard and 2" nails when going through baseboard only (to secure upper portions of 4" tall baseboard to studs).

I have a finish nailer which shoots 1" through 2 1/2" finish nails. I'll experiment with some scrap to verify correct attachment. Got a couple hundred feet of baseboard to do in the next couple weeks I did the baseboard by hand in our bedroom, predrilling and using finish nails, and boy was it tedious. We're using painted MDF so YMMV.

Unrelated tip....found the zip gun (air hammer) I use in the shop for cutting metal and removing tie rod ends works great for breaking up tile and mortar adhered to a concrete slab. Just finished demolishing the ceramic tile in the entry hall. I just lightly misted water on the remaining mortar and and waiting for it to loosen the mortar bonds before hitting it with the zip gun and flat shovel. Wish me luck

Pat

Old 03-29-03, 10:02 AM
wallscollins
Visiting Guest
Baseboards and nailguns again

Thanks for the reply.

Can you tell me what gauge nail you are using, presumably 18?

Does it make a difference between finishing nail gun and brad nailer?

Thanks much

Old 03-29-03, 11:47 AM
camachinist
Visiting Guest
This is similar to the nailer I use in the shop. I have an older model of this one. It shoots .075" diameter nails.

IME, brad nailers are more for light work and tacking when holding for glue. Finish nailers are more for cabinet and finish carpentry work.

I don't own a brad nailer but have had good success with the finish nailer I have. I use an air stapler for light tacking work and a conventional stick nailer for general carpentry.

Pat

Old 03-29-03, 05:31 PM
AzFred
Visiting Guest
A brad nailer is a little light. I'd suggest a 16Ga. or better. Also if you are nailing the molding in a basement be sure the walls are "firred" out and don't use nails that are so long that you hit the masonry wall.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: