How hard is it to install wood or laminate floor.

Old 03-30-03, 02:42 AM
Superman
Visiting Guest
How hard is it to install wood or laminate floor.

First, how hard is it to install either one?

Second, which one is more prestige?

Third, how much does it cost?

Fourth, please give me some tips on what to stay away while installing or what tool will make the job easier.

I am planning to pull out my crappy rug and install it asap. Please advise.

Thank you

Clark

Old 03-30-03, 07:43 AM
AzFred
Visiting Guest
The best approach would be a super visit to a super flooring dealer for a broad based education, Clark. The larger well known retailer can answer each of your questions and show you the differences. That will generate more questions but give you an idea of the direction that's best for you.

Old 03-30-03, 01:12 PM
camachinist
Visiting Guest
We're in the middle of a laminate install as I write this. The wife is banging away in the living room...

1. If you have to ask, likely the installation is best left to a professional. I'm an experienced DIY'er (and machine shop owner) and there's a professional table saw and router parked in the garage right now to assist in the installation.

2. Real wood is the more prestigious of the two...

3. Our 350 sq ft project, in Wilsonart Estate+, is running 4.98 per sq ft for all materials, except baseboards (we're using painted wood). Figure about twice that for real wood of a moderate quality and add a couple dollars per sq ft for installation in a typical rectangular room with no major fitup.

4. Best tip is to stay away from cheap box store laminate. It's worth what you pay for it. Best tool tip is a 10" or 12" sliding power miter box.

Trust me when I tell you ripping the rug out is the easy part...

Have fun!

Pat

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: