Refinishing old hardwood floors

Old 03-30-03, 08:23 PM
jsgranger
Visiting Guest
Question Refinishing old hardwood floors

Hi all. I'm new to this forum. I found it while searching the web for information about refinishing hardwood floors.

I have a rebuilt farmhouse near Boston, MA. It has hardwood floors in every room, all different types and conditions. They are in need of refinishing, and in some areas, repair. I have 2 dogs that LOVE to tear around the house and claw up the floor. I also have dry-air (from forced hot-air heating) and in some cases direct sunlight damage. Many of the boards have developed gaps and in some cases splits and cracks (see attached image crack.jpg). The finish is worn away and there is some staining from minor water damage.

I am going to begin to repair and refinish the floors by starting in my sunroom (the crack.jpg attachment is from this room). It is the newest in the house, and is a light colored, tongue and groove floor (I don't know what kind of wood it is).

I have read about refinishing on the web, but have not found much about dealing with crack/splits and gaps. A few sites suggested that if I had these problems that I should replace the floor. I don't want to do that.

I'm new to this and have never refinished a floor. Any information, suggestions, and advice on dealing with these gaps and cracks would be great. Any information on extra-hard finished (to reduce or elliminate dog paw claw marks) would also be helpful.

Thanks,
Jeff

Old 03-31-03, 09:02 AM
camachinist
Visiting Guest
I couldn't see your attachment....did you process it in one of the acceptable formats here? oops...it appears the forum owners have effectively eliminated attachments by limiting the size to 2 bytes. You can, if you wish, go to my website, www.mackrafab.com and e-mail me the picture at the address there.

IMO, if you're serious about rehabbing these floors, your first stop should be with a reputable hardwood flooring restoration contractor. Just having them come out to view and estimate the job can teach you a lot and help you decide if this is a job you wish to tackle yourself.

Next, if you think you can handle it yourself, purchase some books on hardwood restoration; I find books much easier to process and access when in the planning and execution stages of a project. Forums like this are great for specific questions.

Hope that helps and best of luck with your project. I envy your position.

Pat

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: