refinishing 86 year odl pine floors

Old 03-31-03, 03:42 PM
texas1
Visiting Guest
Question refinishing 86 year odl pine floors

I just bought a craftsman style house built in 1917. The floors are in good shape with just a few water stains and no buckling. I need to take the lynoleum off of the floors in the bathroom and kitchen but then what should i use to get the glue up? Also, what should I use to strip the rest of the floors that haven't ever had anything on them????? i will take any advice whether it is a book to buy or website to look at.

Thanks!!!

Old 03-31-03, 06:59 PM
YankeeCraftmn
Visiting Guest
The best money spent would be to hire a Hardwood floor refinisher, Most floor sanding with 3 cost of poly run $2.00 a square foot or less. Try to get the linoleum of as best as you can 1st. Make the call and ask them what they can do for you 1st, before you try stripping yourself.

Old 04-01-03, 07:39 AM
texas1
Visiting Guest
My only problem with that is the size of the house, it is 3000 sq ft, so if I hire someone to do it, it could run me up tp $6000 dollars which I can't afford with all of the "must have" repairs.... ie: foundation leveled, roof straightened and reshingled, central heat/ac, and rewiring. We were hoping to do the inside stuff ourselves. i have done every home remodel project you can think of with exception to wood floors. The rest of my stuff has turned out rather well so i am hoping I could maybe field this one too, what do you think the difficulty scale is on this?

Thanks Again!

Old 04-01-03, 07:18 PM
YankeeCraftmn
Visiting Guest
You acn rent a sanding machine at any Rental tool company and do it your self, Its not that hard. The only thing with your type of floors is the resins fill the sand paper rather quikly. Meaning you will have some sand paper cost. Still alot cheaper then hiring it out.

Old 04-02-03, 11:44 AM
Locy's Hardwood
Visiting Guest
Yes you can do it yourself if you have the time and patience to do so. The type of refinishing neccessary to complete this task you will not i repeat will not pay $2.00 or less. Two dollars a square would not even cover the cost of paper in this case. This needs to be treated more like a restoration than a refinish because of the age of the home there are alot more factors involved than meets the eye. You can run into dry rot, lead paint, structural issues and many other things. A home we did last year was a little over 3500/sqft with 185yr old random width pine floors. We went through a little over $4800 just in paper and that was my cost!! Going through a rental yard double that!!! Call a coulpe of guys in your area and have then give you an est.

Philly

Pctures of restoration work can be found at
www.locyshardwoodfloors.com

Old 04-02-03, 02:15 PM
texas1
Visiting Guest
thanks

Thanks for replying.... I work out of my house as a Graphic Designer so I have the time and am more flexible than most. I am hoping that I won't run into any major problems. The floors are in very good condition, we will be only the 3rd owners of this house and so I know they haven't ever been covered with carpet. they haven't ever been painted, they look like they have been stained a dark color so I am guessing it is a paste wax or something, they aren't rotten anywhere and there is no buckling, there is actually only a couple stains that are round that look like they may have come from a potted plant. Do you think by my description there may still be some dry etc?

Old 04-02-03, 02:19 PM
texas1
Visiting Guest
one more thing

you mentioned there may be structural issues, the man that has owned the house for the previous 30 yrs has jacked and shimmed up on a weekly basis to keep it from shifting and sinking too badly so the foundation is fairly level considering it's age. We plan to have the entire house releveled and new piers poured first thing and then have a new roof, rewired, and central heat/ac installed before I ever attempt to do anything to the floors.

Old 04-03-03, 06:20 AM
Locy's Hardwood
Visiting Guest
From what you are telling me it sounds like you are in good shape. Give a call to a local floor guy and have him come out and give you an estimate. Pick his brain see what he thinks is on the floors now. Ask him what type of finish he would recomend etc.
You can go to www.hardwoodinstaller.com for info on the refinishing process.

Philly

Old 04-07-03, 02:46 PM
Libor
Visiting Guest
Watch out for oversanding. When I drum-sanded my 90 year-old heart pine floors, I heard this over and over again but just laughed it off. (That kind of warning was for other idiots, not for me!) We lived with those floors for a year, and all the while they looked just fine. It wasn't until I had to pry some floorboards out for work on a wall that I saw I'd sanded down over a quarter of the board's thickness.

Old 04-08-03, 12:08 AM
Suppo
Visiting Guest
You sound like you have a lot of square footage! You might try incremental work like we did.

We first designed the interior with furniture, fixtures, custom area rugs, drapes and paint color.

we bought the area rugs first and sanded incrementally for over a year doing the areas which the rugs covered first.

Then, the big day came and we moved everything to the basement, completed the high traffic area sanding and finished the floors. It was a beautiful plan and only kept the main floor unoccupied for a week!

good luck on your project. I look forward to hearing how you are doing......so post in this forum please...........

Old 04-08-03, 08:04 AM
texas1
Visiting Guest
thanks for all of the advice, I have almost talked myself out of doing a complete refinish. Now I'm thinking maybe I should just take off the varnish and get the floors as light as possible that way and then lightly sand or buff them and then do the whole wax buff process, any opinions??

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: