how do I install flush wood air registers?

Old 04-03-03, 07:28 PM
D
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how do I install flush wood air registers?

I am putting down a Harris Tarkett 3/4 inch hardwood floor in my kitchen and living room. I will be starting the flooring in the living room. There are 2 floor registers along the starting wall. I have purchased 3/4 inch flush-mount wood floor registers that have a groove that will slide into the hardwood. The problem is that I need about one and a half boards to get the wood register in the right spot. How do I start the job? Do I rip cut the very first board so that the registers fall at the right spot? Also, the wall that I will be finishing at (in the kitchen) has a floor vent as well. How the heck am I going to get this to line up properly?

Old 04-04-03, 05:36 PM
Locy's Hardwood
Visiting Guest
Ah you have reached the 1rst nightmare of many when installing in floor grates. This one will drive you nuts. After installing about 50 of those things you will start to get the hang of it.
They are not easy but look great when you are done.The grate at the end of the run is your least worry. By the time you get there you should be able to cut the flooring around it. These registers have a groov on all sides. You don't have to have them come out even with the flooring. You can Box them in by mitering a picture frame around the opening with the opening or yes you can adjust your starter row so that it comes out even but starting with a small strip for a starter row is not a good idea. If you look at the register you will see that it is tapered from top to bottom. Kepping that in mind you can lay the flooringnormally and just leave the opening for the register and then go back and trace the register around the opening and use a chisel to enlarge the opening for it to sit into. The otions are endless some are easy some are hard. Don bollinger has an excelent video and book that shows how to install them. Good Luck

Philly

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: