Aquarium on top of floating wood floor

Old 04-11-03, 01:41 PM
sacman
Visiting Guest
Aquarium on top of floating wood floor

I'm planning to install Kahrs 15mm woodloc floating wood floor in my living room. There's a 75gallon aquarium right now. Is the floating wood floor strong enough to handle this much weight/pressure? What should I do?

Sacman

Old 04-11-03, 06:56 PM
AzFred
Visiting Guest
Your fish tank probably weighs more than 565 pounds. But the "feet" of the tank will determine the weight per square inch based on the area of those feet. If the area is small the floor could be compromised. A floating floor may not be as stable as firmly anchored floor system. With good planning you should be successful.

Old 04-12-03, 07:56 AM
woodyp
Visiting Guest
Just a thought. The aquarium in question will probably weigh about 800 punds when full, that includes the rock, stand, tank and water. However, if the stand is a solid style (cabinet type) stand, the total, per square inch) pressure on the floor is only about 6.25#/sq. in.. In reality, this is probably less pressure than chairs and tables will have, per sqare inch. If, however, you have the aquarium pn a wrought iron style stand, with only 4 contact points with the floor, the pressure will be more like 200#/sq. in.. The key is the base.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: