Insatlling New Wood Floors!!!

Old 04-12-03, 12:20 AM
SKAVENGER
Visiting Guest
Insatlling New Wood Floors!!!

I HAD A FEW QUESTIONS, CONCERNING WOOD FLOORING!OVER THE LAST FEW WEEKS I HAVE DECIDED TO INSTALL THE TONGUE AND GROOVE TYPE WOOD FLOORING.I AM GOING TO DO MY ENTIRE TOWNHOUSE!KITCHEN,BEDROOMS,HALLS AND BATHROOMS. WITH CONCERNS TO THE KITCHEN AND BATHROOMS,IS IT BETTER TO INSTALL THE WOOD FLOORING FIRST,THEN INSTALL THE VANITIES,AND NEW KITCHEN CUPBOARDS? OR VICE VERSA?(*I HAVE SEEN IN MANY PICTORIALS,CABINETS AND SUCH.INSTALLED ON TOP OF WOOD FLOORING.THE REASON I AM ASKING THIS QUESTION).

SECOND.IS IT UNCOMMON TO SEE MODERN/UPDATED BATHROOM S WITH WOOD FLOORING? I FIGURED I'D ASK SINCE THE REST OF THE HOUSE WAS GOING TO BE DONE IN THIS FASHION. AND I DID NOT WISH TO BREAK THE PATTERN OF INSTALLING WOOD FLOORING,

THANKS FOR YOUR TIME

Old 04-13-03, 08:32 PM
T
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Installing wood floors

It is best to install wood floors first before installing cabinetry. There are concerns about locking in appliances like dishwashers and potential problems when changing cabinetry size and design in the future. It is not uncommon to see wood floors in bathrooms, yet there is the concern about moisture. Thus, many folks opt for tile or vinyl in bathrooms. If you don't have kids who swim and splash in the tub, wood floors should do fine. Yet, there is always the concern about overflowing toilets and leaks. Wood and water don't make a good mix, so it is always best to wipe up all spills and pet accidents immediately and to place additional protection under potted plants.

If installing yourself, go to www.installingwoodfloors.com for instructions.

Old 04-14-03, 07:05 PM
marcthornton
Visiting Guest
twelepole said it soooo right !!!

One thing i would like to add. A friend of mine does alot of spec homes. He gets all the dimenions for the cabinets, appliances, etc, he'll then measure it all out onto the floor after installation. In areas of toilets, tubs, sinks and so forth that will be covered by cabinets he proceeds to get a matching caulk and fill all the grooves lightly.

Although i have not done this myself i have seen his application and it does make since as it could block alot of moisture from a runny sink, fridge or dishwasher.

Send me an e-mail if you want details.

Best of luck,
Marc

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: