Don Bollinger video question

Old 04-14-03, 09:13 PM
D
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don Bollinger video question

Per a suggestion here, I watched Don Bollinger's video on installing hardwood flooring. In the video, he shows the process of putting hardwood in several rooms, and finishing up down a long hallway and butting up to pre-existing hardwood in the bedroom.

My question is this. The video shows the new wood in the hallway being installed right up to the bedroom hardwood. Don't you need the 3/4" expansion joint???

Also, for kitchen cabinets, do you install the hardwood right up to them, or leave 3/4" gap?

Old 04-23-03, 12:47 PM
D
Still looking for some input here.

Old 04-23-03, 08:20 PM
DIMMike
Visiting Guest
Sorry Doug

This is my day to be flippant. Similar materials that are side by side and tied to each other will move together and the force goes to the side,

Similar physical principle as not having to leave a 3/4ths inch gap between each board. The nails help alter the vector of the forces. That is why you nail them at recommended intervals and not every 2 inches apart.
Unlike materials will not expand the same way. A ceramic tile, glued to the sub floor, is not going to expand very much at all, therefore it is a fixed object. Force against a fixed object directs the force up and damages the board.

PS. I wondered about the same things myself a month ago. Until I realized that hundreds of years of experience with wood and floors taught people a lot and it saved a boaload of effort to listen to that experience and "Just do it".
PPS. NOFMA has 2 things in mind. Doing it the right way and not getting their memebers butts sued off for giving bad instructions.

Old 04-23-03, 08:26 PM
D
Re: Sorry Doug

Originally posted by DIMMike
This is my day to be flippant. Similar materials that are side by side and tied to each other will move together and the force goes to the side,

Similar physical principle as not having to leave a 3/4ths inch gap between each board. The nails help alter the vector of the forces. That is why you nail them at recommended intervals and not every 2 inches apart.
Unlike materials will not expand the same way. A ceramic tile, glued to the sub floor, is not going to expand very much at all, therefore it is a fixed object. Force against a fixed object directs the force up and damages the board.

PS. I wondered about the same things myself a month ago. Until I realized that hundreds of years of experience with wood and floors taught people a lot and it saved a boaload of effort to listen to that experience and "Just do it".
PPS. NOFMA has 2 things in mind. Doing it the right way and not getting their memebers butts sued off for giving bad instructions.
Sorry, I'm so dense, but could you read my question, and try to provide specific answers, at least pertaining to the cabinet question.

thanks, Doug

Old 04-23-03, 08:42 PM
DIMMike
Visiting Guest
Its not dense

Just learning. I did not answer your cabinet question because I am a DIY'er like you and did not research the issue, or need to. My instinct would be to do it by a way which probably would not work well and I did not want to give bad info.
Personaaly I am such a clutz that if I put hardwood in the kitchen I would spill a pot of water on it. Linoleum is safer for me for that room.
I was hoping a moderator would answer your question, because I did not know the answer either. They have the experience in that area.
Good luck. Maybe you can get an insight by using a search of the word cabinet on the topic page.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: