Water based poly over oil based stain?

Old 05-06-03, 11:28 AM
bcater
Visiting Guest
Water based poly over oil based stain?

Can you apply a water-based polyurethane on top of a oil-based stain? Are there any potential incompatibilities?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-03, 04:03 AM
Locy's Hardwood
Visiting Guest
Peeling peeling peeling use an oil based poly to seal the stain wait 3 - 4 days then apply waterbased over the oil based poly

Phil

Old 05-07-03, 04:29 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Phil,
I'm a bit miffed!
I used minwax golden oak oil stain on my oak treads then applied minwax polycrylic (two coats) and have had no problems at all. That was about five years ago. I did give the oil stain about three days to dry completely.

fred

Old 05-09-03, 03:53 AM
Locy's Hardwood
Visiting Guest
The information i received was from the people at minwax aka Duraseal. They recomend sealing with oil based to get a consistent color from the stain due to the ambering quality of oil based and then for protection using water or oil if using water wait 3 - 4 days. By the way fred it says right on the container of polycrylic not recomend for use on floors But you used it on stairs so i guess its ok. He He He.

Phil

Old 05-13-03, 07:04 AM
bcater
Visiting Guest
FYI

FYI

I received this response from Minwax...

SUBJECT: Minwax Water Based Polyurethane Over Minwax Wood Finish Stains

You may apply the Minwax Water Based Polyurethane over a fully cured Minwax Wood Finish Stain (oil-based). Please use the following guidelines:

To ensure the color fastness of Minwax Wood Finish prior to applying Minwax Water-Based Polyurethane:
1.) Allow final coat of stain to dry 8-24 hours (Dry time is affected by your ventilation, temperature, and relative humidity).
2.) Wipe down the stained surface using a soft, lint-free cloth dampened with 100% pure mineral spirits. If the stain is cured and inactive, the mineral spirits will not affect the color. You should not have any color pick-up onto the cloth. The mineral spirits will remove any active/excess stain from surface and help the stain to cure out.
3.) Allow the mineral spirits to evaporate/flash off the surface.

Once the stain color is set and cured (passed the color-fast test), apply 3 coats of the Minwax Water Based Polyurethane per label directions.

Sincerely,
Consumer Affairs