self-leveling misery

Old 05-10-03, 08:54 PM
nancevo
Visiting Guest
Question self-leveling misery

I am in the middle of leveling a subfloor and laying a mannington laminate. I also have removed a 2 ft section of the subfloor the entire length of the hall because it sloped 5/8" over a span of 2 ft. Since I didn't take the subfloor back far enough I now have the dreaded "hump" (the old floor is still sloping and the part where it was removed is now level). What a pain! I've used a grinder to remove the high spot, and need to use the leveling compound to bridge the gap. Using the leveling compound, it set up quicker than I could sprread it...mixed it much thinner than the instructions state, but still set up real fast!! Just what is the consistancy supposed to be? I'm spreading this stuff like spackle, it sure isn't leveling itself! My concern is that this is a hallway which will get a lot of foot traffic. and if the high spot exists under the new subfloor, all the way, won't that compromise the laminate? Isn't a gradual incline better than a slight hump in the center of the hall? It's remodeling, it's never going to be perfect, so which is the lesser of 2 evils? Thanks

Old 05-11-03, 05:06 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Sounds like it is fixing to cost you double what it would have cost you, if you had hired a professional in the first place.

Now your going to have to pay some one to tear it all out again and start over.

Self-leveling isn't spread with a trowel like spackle. It is just poured, and back squeegeed.
You try to trowel it and your going to have a costly mess!!!!!!

Your installation is above a DIY job, because of the subfloor requirements.

If you have your heart set on doing the laminate installation yourself, at least hire a pro for the complete floor prep. I offer that service to quite a few clients. I do all the prep to bring the subfloor to spec. Then get them started on the actual installation(Hardwood, Laminate, or Ceramic). They love it, after they really see what is involved in floor prep!!! I have not had one client say, "I could have done that. Most say, "I'm glad you did this part, because I would have had it all messed up".

Old 05-12-03, 10:56 AM
Texas wood
Visiting Guest
The self leveling compound I used and worked perfect cost $30.00 for 50 1b bag at Home Depot. I mixed it according to the instructions. It had the consistency of Latex Paint. I marked the low spots and poured the leveling compound in the low spot. It "fanned" out perfect to the corresponding high area around the low spot that I had marked and stopped pouring. The floor was a flat as a sheet of glass. They also make lightweight leveling compound for wood subfloors but it is still $30.00 / bag. The lightweight stuff will dissolve in water after it has dried so if you are leveling a concrete floor make sure you get the regular stuff, so any moisture through the slab will not redisolve it.

Old 05-13-03, 06:34 AM
nancevo
Visiting Guest
self leveling misery

Just wanted you all to know self leveling compound we purchased the second time worked just fine. No need to call a "professional" . Yes it has the consistancy of latex paint and it did the trick! Perhaps the 1st product was a leveler but not a self leveler, I don't know, the bag is gone. but it was like a spackle and had to be knocked out of the bucket because it set up in mere minutes. I want to be clear about my and my husband' skill level. We have been doiing remodeling for 25+yrs and have moved walls, toilets, put in ceramic tile, kitchen cabinets and parquet floors, NEVER had to use a self-leveling product , though. With our experience, professionals don't always have more skill, a better work ethic or a keener sence of detail. We will save $1700.00 , the cost of installation on $1000.00 worth of flooring materials. So if I have to fix a mistake or do something twice, that's OK with me. Do It Yourselfers, don't be afraid. It's not rocket science. It can always be fixed.

Old 05-13-03, 07:26 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Glad to hear it all worked out.

Patience is a virtue.

Hope he didn't cuss too much.

Old 05-16-03, 08:37 AM
shirlee500
Visiting Guest
Self Leveling

We just did a remodel on the bathroom. The floor around the tolet was 5/8 off from back to front. This is on a concrite slab floor, I removed the flooring, pulled the tolet and did all the prep work. My 28 yr old son came over and help with the self leveling. We poured half of the bag, he did blending work (I put down real Parquet) we wanted to make sure it was smooth. Next day when all was dry. We discovered we where still off. Used the rest of the bag, and repoured the bathroom floor.

I painted and layed the parquet floor. Son the ex-plumber replaced the flange, and set the tolet. Husband bought me a shower door (I am starting on today). Friend put up the new light bar. I haven't decided on the base boards yet.

Bathroom looks great.

Home Depot $30.00 bag of self-leveing and primer. Bruce Parquet $60.00, $16.00 for glue. Light bar $20.00. Shower door $180.00. Paint from HD $20.00.

I figure the total cost around $450.00, had to buy rollers, etc.

It was a bigger job than I had expected, but the HD people (Nancy) walked me though it. Was unhappy about the bathroom being out for 2 weeks. I got the color wrong had to repaint (wanted a strong peach ended up HD orange). But it was well worth the time and effort. I now get to go in there and say I DID THIS.

Shirlee

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: