3 1/4" flooring on second floor around stairwell opening

Old 05-17-03, 07:53 AM
uomoragno
Visiting Guest
Question 3 1/4" flooring on second floor around stairwell opening

I'm planning to install 3 1/4" by 3/4" hardwood on the second floor. There is a 90 degree spiral stair case leading to the second floor.

I have two questions:
- should I set the direction of the floor based on the top of the stairs and start from there as opposed to starting along a wall as per normal (ie. should I use a slip tounge in the stair nosing and build out from there or try to work from the wall to the top of the stairs so there is a full width strip ending at the top of the stairs ... which would be a bit tricky)

- The nosing around the stairwell is grooved. When working around the side of the stairwell where the rows of wood flooring are perpendicular to the nosing how should I fasten the flooring? Since the nosing is grooved, should I lay to layout flooring pieces so I always have an end-tounge to fit into the groove, should I cross cut the floor strips to length and not worry about fitting into the groove, should I cross cut the flooring to length and face nail?

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Old 05-17-03, 08:15 AM
uomoragno
Visiting Guest
Point of clarification

One point of clarification: the stairwell opening is not square, part of it will be diagonal to the direction of the flooring so I will mitre those ends ... do these ends need to be fitted into the groove, face nailed, or just butted up against the nosing and left at that.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: